Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Cooking frozen pork butt

I have a butt in the freezer that I want to make ahead of Irma arriving. Any suggestions on cooking from frozen? PS - FWIW, this is my first butt ever. Thanks. 
Two Large Eggs, 36" Blackstone, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in SE Florida - My New Table
Twitter: @ Bags
Blog: TheJetsFan.com

Comments

• ColtsFanColtsFan Posts: 1,897
    I've done partially frozen at 300-325 before. Added a couple hours to the cook. You could always wrap it to help it along. How big of a butt is it? 
    Two large BGE, KJ Jr, 36" Blackstone, FlameBoss 300
    Follow me on Instagram @ hoosier_egger
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,885
    I have heard people just put it straight out of the freezer on the egg,  and once the surface has thawed remove remove it and apply the rub. If you move quickly you could just shake on the rub right on the egg. 

Another option is a quick cold water thaw. If it is in cryovac you can drop it in the sink or other vessel large enough to submerge it for 20-30 minutes until the surface is defrosted and the rub will stick. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• You can thaw that butt in a large pot of cold water - same way you can do a turkey.  30 minutes per pound, change the water every 30 minutes.  8 lb butt would take about 4 hours.  You can make that 4 hours up by cooking it turbo.  
    https://www.leaf.tv/articles/how-to-thaw-a-large-pork-butt/
    XL  Central Ohio
  • kl8tonkl8ton Posts: 2,307
    You should be fine.  You would just need to let it cook a while before applying rub.  
    LBGE - 36Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,625
    What @SmokeyPitt said.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HofstraJetHofstraJet Posts: 1,123
    Good idea on the partial defrost. Thanks. 
    Two Large Eggs, 36" Blackstone, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in SE Florida - My New Table
    It's an 8# Boston Butt.

In the cold water bath now.
    edited September 2017
    So I left it in the water bath for a few hours, rubbed with Gulden's mustard (no yellow on hand) and Meat Church Honey Hog.

Went on the egg at 9:30 last night fat side down on a CI grid on the PS Woo with a Lloyd Pans pizza pan for a drip tray. Used hickory and cherry chunks. Cheated and used my FlameBoss to maintain temps.

15 hours later, it looks like it's done - 198 IT and probing like buttah. Leaving it on until 203 for good measure. Will FTC for a few hours as recommended before pulling.

This will be for eating once Irma hits so I will FoodSaver once sauced and boil in bag as recommended when ready to eat (I believe I can boil water on the egg - will let you know if it works).

Here's the most interesting thing (to me, anyway): look at the graph below and note that when the meat was about to come out of the stall at 10:00 AM, the temp dropped in the egg. Coincidence? I'm guessing not. I also wonder why the overnight temp spiked a few times. I didn't open the egg until 12:30.

• YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 5,741
    Nice cook.  Stay safe!!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• I've done a number of frozen solid butts. I slather with mustard then rub (basically the only time I do this)  Past that I add about an hour to my expected cook time and I expect yummy pork!!  I will say it's better to low and slow this butt than try and turbo. I got a deep ring of tough meat when I did that.
    Biloxi, MS
    Guild's Grocery BBQ Team
    The Grocery Cart
    XL / Small Green Eggs