Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peach Smoked Pork Butt with Peach Preserves

Options
Started the brining process tonight for my Peach Butt going on tomorrow. 
I used:
12 oz Picking Salt
About 8 oz or 3/4 Cup Molasses 
2 Quarts of mineral free, or bottled water.
Mix together until dissolved in the liquid.
Pour into a covered container large enough to hold the liquid and the meat.
Add Butt and submerge, place in fridge (if you can't submerge turn over every 4-6 hours or so) for minimum 8-12 hours. (I have left mine in for much longer with no issues)
We will see what happens.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    It will be epic my friend.  Looking forward to watching!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Our children are coming in from college this weekend, so I will be doing legs and wings too.
    Have not seen our son since we moved him into his dorm, 3 weeks ago.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Standing by!
    Prepping this thing is worth the hassle.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

No wrong ingredients there. If I wasn't knee deep in the bowels of the state of Mississippi I would request leftovers. 

Also here are some peach butts. For motivation. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• YukonRon
    Options

No wrong ingredients there. If I wasn't knee deep in the bowels of the state of Mississippi I would request leftovers. 

Also here are some peach butts. For motivation. 
    Brother, you are always welcome to what we have. There is always room at our table for a few more.

Hoping your visit in Mississippi goes very well, and you return home safe.

Cool image. I like the way your mind works dude, you keep me laughing.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Enjoy the family and banquets ahead brother!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Enjoy the family and banquets ahead brother!
    Will do, and like everytime I serve this up, everyone gets to hear about you sharing your insight with me on cooking my first butt on the BGE. Never had a bad one.
    Thanks!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Will be watching this... enjoy your family time... they will come back often if you keep these cooks up!!!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Sounds fantastic. Good eats and good times coming soon. Enjoy!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    No more clean underware after 3 weeks....just sayin'  =)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    No brine for me (sodium), but I like the idea of peach preserves. Don't recall ever seeing peach wood up here, but apple would probably be fine. An experiment may be in order soon. Hmm, might even try it with chicken.

Enjoy your family!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    Options
    On Jimmy Buffett's album "Feeding Frenzy" this poem starts the song "Gypsies in the Palace":

In days of old, when knights where bold
    And journeyed from their castles
    Trusty men where left behind
    Knights needed not the hassles
    They helped themselves to pig and peach
    And drank from King’s own chalice
    Oh, it was a stirring sight
    These gypsies in the palace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVRN2DcQHFo
    Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)

• YukonRon
    Options
    Will be watching this... enjoy your family time... they will come back often if you keep these cooks up!!!!
    My Brother Johnny, that is the plan. Should be fun, and I am going to start it tonight. I got a plan, waiting on the last of Harvey to roll out, before getting the eggs ready to cook. Gives me a chance to watch some football, and pop a couple of corks.

Watching Texas getting killed at home by Maryland. Abusing them in the A gaps.
    27 - 7.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Sounds fantastic. Good eats and good times coming soon. Enjoy!
    Always good times with the BGE, Family and Friends, thank you!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    No more clean underware after 3 weeks....just sayin'  =)
    I sent him 4 packs as soon as we got back from moving him into the dorm. I know our son....he is diametrically opposed to neatness of any form.
    Where did I go wrong?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    No brine for me (sodium), but I like the idea of peach preserves. Don't recall ever seeing peach wood up here, but apple would probably be fine. An experiment may be in order soon. Hmm, might even try it with chicken.

Enjoy your family!
    Can you use KCl? I have to take potassium suppliments, because of muscles cramping up and spasms.
    Apple is awesome for slow roasting pork. 
    I order in my Peach from Fruita. I use it for smoke with poultry all the time. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    frognot said:
    On Jimmy Buffett's album "Feeding Frenzy" this poem starts the song "Gypsies in the Palace":

In days of old, when knights where bold
    And journeyed from their castles
    Trusty men where left behind
    Knights needed not the hassles
    They helped themselves to pig and peach
    And drank from King’s own chalice
    Oh, it was a stirring sight
    These gypsies in the palace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVRN2DcQHFo
    Cool catch. It is awesome on ribs too.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Enjoy your family!
    Can you use KCl? I have to take potassium suppliments, because of muscles cramping up and spasms.

Actually, when I asked if I could use salt substitutes (which are primarily KCl), they said "no, you don't want too much K either". I'm happy with what I cook even without brining. I have never brined anything anyway, not even before the sodium thing. I wish I could find something that would tell me how much of the sodium in a brine actually stays in the meat. At least then I could make an informed decision.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Enjoy your time with family. Your menu is killer. My kids are home too. They brought some friends with them. I have the offset running with spare ribs on, the wfo has baked beans inside in the bean pot, the eggs are prepped and ready for dove appetizers this evening. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Enjoy your time with family. Your menu is killer. My kids are home too. They brought some friends with them. I have the offset running with spare ribs on, the wfo has baked beans inside in the bean pot, the eggs are prepped and ready for dove appetizers this evening. 
    Thank you. We will have a great weekend around the eggs. My Beautiful Wife is making chicken pot pie for us tonight and Peach cobbler for the meals tomorrow night.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Prepped, preserved, BGE HOLDING steady at 225F. Peach wood smoking. Should be ready by 4 PM, if all goes well.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Enjoy your family!

SWMBO keeps a bottle of Tonic water with Quinine handy for leg cramps. Hates the taste but it stops them pretty quickly. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • YukonRon
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Chicken Pot Pie Yesterday. Awesome meal for the crew. Nothing left in my 3 bowls I had.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    12 hours in, 181F IT, looking good.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ron, so happy for you getting the fam together like that. As you know mine are in Charlotte and Atlanta, which makes these sort of gatherings more difficult to pull off. Enjoy your kids....it only gets better as the are/become adults. All the best to you guys on this Holliday weekend.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Ron, so happy for you getting the fam together like that. As you know mine are in Charlotte and Atlanta, which makes these sort of gatherings more difficult to pull off. Enjoy your kids....it only gets better as the are/become adults. All the best to you guys on this Holliday weekend.
    Thank you Robin, means a lot. The Dad in me is glad to have them home together, and I know Suzy, is thrilled.
    Hope the rest of your Holiday is wonderful.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    After the brining, I set the XL up for a 225F run, Rockwood and 6 peach chunks. Let it stabilize while I pulled the butt from the brine container.
    I used a mustard base, Pig Dust from @DoubleEgger (Thank you Michael, a very good person and a very cool dude) cut it with some turbine do, then did the peach preserves slather. Not my best Kitchen performance.
    My Beautiful Wife casually mentioned the floors walls and doors were a bit soiled and sticky with mustard, rub and Peach preserves.
    I swear I thought I had cleaned that up while watching the LSU - BYU game last night. Then I saw my XL in the daylight. It was not @JohnInCarolina MM worthy, (sorry John, just a reference point only, no judging) but to me, well, let's just say, I had zero opportunity to off a rebuttal to my My Beautiful Wife's observations. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ron, if memory serves me (a bit iffy sense my treck to Louisville)....as I was saying, isn't that beautiful back yard one that a certain beautiful blond keeps in pristine condition? Seems to me a bit less identification and a bit more elbow grease on her part would be the proper path. Oh well...get busy.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Ron, if memory serves me (a bit iffy sense my treck to Louisville)....as I was saying, isn't that beautiful back yard one that a certain beautiful blond keeps in pristine condition? Seems to me a bit less identification and a bit more elbow grease on her part would be the proper path. Oh well...get busy.
    I like the way you think, and I suggest as much to My Beautiful Wife, I had better be on some serious mind altering drugs.
    Just kidding, she took care of it. I tend to lose focus and hit a vegetative state when Football is on, that is the excuse I used.
    Suzanne said it is a small price to pay to be fed well. :blush:

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky