Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I finally bought the Anova Sous Vide, any tips, tricks or hints?

After many months of research and deliberation I finally broke down and bought a Sous Vide I plan to put it to the test over this holiday weekend. I wanted to see if anyone could give me any tips on operation or what's the best thing you've cooked with it?  

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Check out Chefsteps and pick a recipe you like. Good site. Pork chops and chicken breasts are easy cooks. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    I really like chicken breast.  I put 3-4 in a bag, ziplock with the water displacement method.  140 degrees for 1 hour & 15 minutes.  Then I sear them on my minimax or large.  They are ridiculously tender.  They could even use a little more time in the SV, because they almost seem too tender, and I am just not sure they're totally done and safe to eat.  But, I haven't gotten anything yet.
    I also like carrots and corn on the cob.  I cook both at 183 degrees for 1.5 hours.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Congrats on the purchase it's super cool.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    The chocolate pots are very good to.  @JohnInCarolina has a thread on them that's wildly popular.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim said:
    The chocolate pots are very good to.  @JohnInCarolina has a thread on them that's wildly popular.
    WOW!! They look AMAZING!! chocolate pots are the last thing I would of thought of. Thanks for the info! 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    thetrim said:
    WOW!! They look AMAZING!! chocolate pots are the last thing I would of thought of. Thanks for the info! 
    They are show stoppers. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Getchya a decent rib-eye  - nothing too over the top, just decently thick and decent quality.  Go about 129-131F for about 90 minutes and then sear it on a screaming hot Egg...  It'll be a MUCH better than the decent rib-eye you bought!

Also, my tips for using the Anova:
    1. Start with hot water from the tap. It takes a while to cruise up to temp.
    2. Use a vessel closer to the size of the food you're gonna cook.  See tip #1.
    3. Cover the vessel to keep the heat in.
    4. Insulate the vessel to keep the heat in.  
    I have a 16 quart poly tub with a lid I cut to accommodate the Anova.  My tap water is around 125F.  For 2 rib-eyes, I fill it to about that minimum level on the Anova since the water will rise w/ the food. And once I'm cooking, I wrap an old, thick beach towel around the whole thing to keep it nice and warm and efficient.

Oh, and take pictures - you'll want to gloat and brag!  And then upgrade your rib-eye purchases...

Enjoy!
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,851
    I usually use my anova with a stock pot on the stove, and I turn on the burner to get it to temp quickly.  Need to keep an eye on it not to overshoot though.
    NOLA
  • thetrim
    I use an old cooler that helps insulate it, and I bought some ping pong ball looking things on amazon that help speed up the heating.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • I haven't had my Anova that long, but have found it useful to keep a log of temps and durations so I can make adjustments on subsequent cooks.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The one thing every SV-er should know regarding meat safety:  Never keep your meat in the bath below 130F for more than 4 hours.
    I do a lot of chicken breasts via sous vide.

Lately, I have been doing chuck roasts when they are on sale. Just had another one yesterday. In the hot tub for 48 hours-ish @ 135°F, take it out and put in fridge for awhile to lower the internal temp, then give it some smoke for a couple or three hours until internal temp gets back to 135°F-ish. It's become one of my favorite things.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent said:
    thetrim said:
    They are show stoppers. 
    And panty-droppers.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    One of my favorites was an eye of the round roast for 28hrs at 135 and then seared it was like a beef tenderloin at 1/3 of the cost

it was extremely tender
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    edited September 2017
    fail
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I buy a bulk pkg of chicken breasts from Costco.  I rub with oil and then apply a rub.  I food saver them in packages of 2 and back into freezer.  Add some rice and veggies for a very simple weeknight meal.  Of course the chicken is seared briefly to add some crust.

As Brent said above, pork chops are also killer  when SV'd.  I used to steer clear of pork chops, but now with SV they are one of my regular dishes.

Have fun, and welcome here.

Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,151
    Put food on a bag and use water to cover it.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited September 2017
    thetrim said:
    I really like chicken breast.  I put 3-4 in a bag, ziplock with the water displacement method.  140 degrees for 1 hour & 15 minutes.  Then I sear them on my minimax or large.  They are ridiculously tender.  They could even use a little more time in the SV, because they almost seem too tender, and I am just not sure they're totally done and safe to eat.  But, I haven't gotten anything yet.....
    You should check the pasteurization times for chicken at 140º.  I have seen widely different times. Time will depend on thickness and fat content.  You should find a source you trust and follow their recommendations.  I go for longer times - 4 hours.  I am not sure its needed, but is on the longer times I have seen.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• thetrim
    thetrim said:
    I really like chicken breast.  I put 3-4 in a bag, ziplock with the water displacement method.  140 degrees for 1 hour & 15 minutes.  Then I sear them on my minimax or large.  They are ridiculously tender.  They could even use a little more time in the SV, because they almost seem too tender, and I am just not sure they're totally done and safe to eat.  But, I haven't gotten anything yet.....
    You should check the pasteurization times for chicken at 140º.  I have seen widely different times. Time will depend on thickness and fat content.  You should find a source you trust and follow their recommendations.  I go for longer times - 4 hours.  I am not sure its needed, but is on the longer times I have seen.
    I'll have to keep it in a little longer.  I think at 4 hours it would disintegrate into mush, but she haven't done it that long myself.  Who knows.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    I normally cook thighs for 4 hours and they don't get mushy. Turkey thighs get 24 hours.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.