Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally, Steaks

Options
I've been doing the cooks since I have the time - and enjoy it - but my husband wanted the first steak left for him. Today he tackled grass-fed NY strip with Dizzy Pig's Raising the Steaks rub, and while a little well done, turned out great despite my being a little skeptical about the sear & dwell method from the BGE website due to reading here. I'd sent him several steak methods, including Trex, and he thought the BGE method looked simplest. (I agree.)

I added asparagus while steaks rested; it turned out great in about 6 minutes with olive oil, salt and pepper, and vents still closed. Can't tell in the photo but the lump was glowing red. Oh - and the pigtails arrived. I practiced on a stale piece of cornbread - love them!
Beth
Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 

Comments

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Works for me!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    Options
    Thanks - first time we had the egg up to 650. 
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Looks great.  I use the BGE method also.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I've never tried that method, but I've seen a few people here who use it and like it.  Whatever works!  Your food looks great!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Nice cook!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    That looks killer to me. Very nicely done!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Great looking steak and also asparagus.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• bjeans
    Options
    Thanks, guys. I'm still working on the temperature thing but I guess that will come with time. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Steak a Asparagus are a perfect match in my book. Keep up the good work. The learning curve is not as steep as you think. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bjeans
    Options
    Steak a Asparagus are a perfect match in my book. Keep up the good work. The learning curve is not as steep as you think. 
    Thanks @northGAcock. It's just tough - at this point - to know when to leave well enough alone or when do something. The temp ramped up quickly to 600 so put the closed the vent on the bottom part way and put the daisy wheel back though wide open (petals and wheel itself). Temp went down quickly, and I didn't know whether to just wait or to undo or partly undo when I did.  :o

But I guess (to paraphrase the Stones), time is on my side - the more times I cook, the more the Egg truth will be revealed.