Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Breakfast on the Little Griddle!

Options
First time using the Little Griddle for breakfast.  Really fun cook that I'll definitely do again.

It's kind of like cooking breakfast over a campfire, but a lot less work.
And, unlike cooking in the house... nothing really to clean and your house doesn't smell all day!  (we don't have a good exhaust fan)

QUESTION on grease management, though.  I use the papertowel tip (in the trough) to make cleanup easier, but man, you have to be careful with grease flare ups when you're done!  :o

After I cooked the pancakes I did a quick hot clean of the griddle...  pour on some water, then scrub/scrape with a spatula or brush.  Works great.  BUT, you have all that fat in the tray.  If a little tiny bit of water overflows the tray it drips down to the fire and you have an instant flare up.  Watch out!  Any tips for how to manage that better if you cook bacon on this griddle?

There's no easy way to get the fat out while it is hot.  I wouldn't want to lift out the griddle, even with gloves, because of the risk of spilling some grease and getting a flare up.

In any case, great breakfast.  And, well.. bacon!

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I had the same problem using my Kettle Q.  I try to take the paper towel out with tongs, and put some more in until I soak up most of the grease.  Then I clean with water.  Your meal looks great!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Nice lookin groceries!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited August 2017
    Options
    smbishop said:
    I had the same problem using my Kettle Q.  I try to take the paper towel out with tongs, and put some more in until I soak up most of the grease.  Then I clean with water.  Your meal looks great!
    Oh, that's a good idea!  I just put it in there because someone posted it made things easier, but I didn't draw the connection between that and what you said.  I'm probably supposed to do that between cooks.  Next time! 
    Thanks.

I think I have to prop it up a hair in the back next time as well. My deck or the grill must not be perfectly level as the grease would just slightly pool in the back.  Not an issue with one pound of bacon, but if I went for the double or had a few rounds of burgers.  We'd have issues.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,070
    edited August 2017
    Options
    That looks really good, and a gadget I don't have. So I checked out the price on amazon.co.uk ...

Ironically I can have it shipped to the UK from Amazon.com for £70 to the door inc. import fees and shipping. I wonder if the UK Amazon made a teeny accounting error and put the decimal point in the wrong place.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Nice. They are making some enamel coated aluminum griddles and pans now too. I have used one of the griddles at home and it's outrageous! Totally nonstick. Like cooking on ball bearings. Enjoy the griddle. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I cut up some old t shirts and used tongs to have them soak up the grease, then toss them in my metal bucket that goes to the fire pit with ash and all that. 

It's not as bad with burgers or pretty much everything else I have cooked. But I usually get the fire real warm then shut the bottom vent. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• KiterTodd
    Options
    That looks really good, and a gadget I don't have. So I checked out the price on amazon.co.uk ...

Ironically I can have it shipped to the UK from Amazon.com for £70 to the door inc. import fees and shipping. I wonder if the UK Amazon made a teeny accounting error and put the decimal point in the wrong place.
    Ha!  Yeah, I think they misplaced the decimal point on that one.

It's $55 including 2nd day shipping in the states.  It's a fun accessory.

I'd be curious to see the nonstick versions @pgprescott is talking about, but they'd have to hold up to metal cookware.  Can't see having a griddle  and not be able to chop and scrape on it as needed for various cooks (cheese steaks).

LBGE/Maryland
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    Last week Walmart had the 17" Blackstone griddle on clearance for $51. Possible option?
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    KiterTodd said:

Ha!  Yeah, I think they misplaced the decimal point on that one.

It's $55 including 2nd day shipping in the states.  It's a fun accessory.

I'd be curious to see the nonstick versions @pgprescott is talking about, but they'd have to hold up to metal cookware.  Can't see having a griddle  and not be able to chop and scrape on it as needed for various cooks (cheese steaks).

The griddles are rectangular and the pan is like a enamel CI pan only its enamel aluminum. Same with the griddles. That said, they have to be treated like an enamel CI Dutch oven. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Cool post!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Space_City_Egger
    Options
    Your pancakes look especially fluffy. You got a go to recipe?
    Large

Houston,TX
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Your pancakes look especially fluffy. You got a go to recipe?
    Yeah, I opened this box and added water.  :blush:

LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Thanks for the link!  I may look into that for inside cooking on the gas stove.  I have a long cast iron skittle but it's kind of a pain to deal with.  That double burner skittle looks like it'd be really convenient for omelettes and eggs.

Didn't see anything about use with metal utensils. Will have to look that up. I wouldn't abuse it (cutting and chopping) after reading about it, but it'd certainly be nice to be able to use metal a bit.
    LBGE/Maryland