Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Making Pizza Dough

I am going to make a batch of pizza dough tonight. All of the dough recipes that I have used in the past are not well suited for the high cooking temps i'd like to achieve on the egg. Crust burns before toppings are melted. I am going to try a neapolitan dough. Will make pizzas on Tuesday. Here's the link for the recipe I will try, unless some of you have a more tried and trued recipe. I plan to cook at 700F +

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-neapolitan-pizza-dough-recipe.html

Pratt, KS

Comments

• northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 10,225
    edited August 2017
    This is very close to the dough I make. It brings joy. I cut mine down into small portions and find that it freezes well after the rise. I prefer a thin dense crust, but you will need to expirement with the dough size to dial it in (quantity) to your desired taste / style. Have fun with it....
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

“Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.”
  • jtcBoyntonjtcBoynton Posts: 2,136
    The dough may help, but your setup is a more likely reason that the dough is burning before the top is done.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• 1voyager1voyager Posts: 324
    That's close to my recipe also. From my experience 700 degrees is way too hot for such a delicate dough. Especially if you go heavy on the toppings. 550 degrees for 8-10 minutes works great for me. 
    Somewhere in Colorado
    LBGE, PGS A40 Gasser
  • MattBTIMattBTI Posts: 328
    1voyager said:
    That's close to my recipe also. From my experience 700 degrees is way too hot for such a delicate dough. Especially if you go heavy on the toppings. 550 degrees for 8-10 minutes works great for me. 
    I'll give that a try. 
    Pratt, KS
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,986
    Cool the stone with water before putting the pizza on. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TheToastTheToast Posts: 273
    I've had great results from this dough recipe (from America's Test Kitchen) 

http://www.madeinmykitchen.com/2014/12/atk-new-york-style-thin-crust-pizza.html?m=1

Stick the dough in the fridge for 2-4 days and it rises really well. I cook at 300-350c / 570-560f with a raised pizza stone method (firebricks on grill, stone on top of that). 

I wouldnt advise putting water on the pizza stone - cold water on a hot stone could shatter the stone. And I can't see it actually cooling it - the water would evaporate. 
  • HibbyHibby Posts: 605
    I've had good luck egging pizzas with this recipe.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe-1921714
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,945
    https://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/Using-caputo-tipo00.pdf

This is my tried and true recipe. 
  • theyolksonyoutheyolksonyou Posts: 16,355
    Mikee has a good recipe, so I've heard. 
    Jason NW GA- home of carpet and Mexican restaurants
    LBGE, MM, BS (Blackstone and the other kind)
    One sorry Labrador

My chili did not suck. 
  • MikeeMikee Posts: 832
    Mikee has a good recipe, so I've heard. 

And it has been posted. That recipe was for a thin but chewy dough. It is easily stretched and will then hold its round shape.

• LitLit Posts: 6,947
    It's really not that hard. Caputo OO blue bag and flour salt water yeast book. 
  • DredgerDredger Posts: 1,453
    This is the recipe that we use. I mix it using the dough cycle on my 1 pound Zojirushi bread machine.

1 cup water
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    3 cups Caputo 00 flour
    2  1/2 teaspoons yeast
    METHOD
    1. Following the order listed, place ingredients in bread pan.
    Insert bread pan into breadmaker; close lid.
    2. Press MENU and select DOUGH.
    3. Press START.

Refrigerate for at least one day in a ziploc bag sprayed with a little bit of Pam. When you are ready to make your pizza, take the dough out of the fridge, divide it into 10 ounce balls and let it sit out for at least an hour on the counter.

We like a very thin crust and this will make three 12 inch pizzas. If you don't want to make that many, freeze each remaining dough ball in a bag.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
    @Dredger, I followed your method, however we have a ton of flour to use up, so rather than buying more I used 2 cups all purpose and 1 cup whole grain. It was a little on the dry side after mixing so i added a splash of water (less than 1 fluid oz). I used an aspect of the method i originally posted via link, and let the dough rise at room temp for 11 hours. Into the greased ziplok this morning until Thursday. 

Thanks for the method. I used a KitchenAid rather than your bread machine. 
    Pratt, KS
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,540
    Here is the best and easiest recipe I can find. 650 degrees on the stone seems to be the sweet spot.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza.html
    @MattBTI, you're welcome. The reason I use the bread machine versus my stand mixer is that the bread machine takes care of the first rise. Please let me know how it turns out for you.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • victor1victor1 Posts: 218
    i've had great luck using caputo 00, (red bag) and baking at about 725 degrees, indirect with bge stone raised above grid.  bake time about 8-9 minutes.  crispy crust, not burned but nice brown.  best i've ever had.  stone is preheated, pizza slid on when up to temp.
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 27,194
    Try to find/create a recipe that is based on weight.  You'll have more reproducible results.

Try to find/create a recipe that is based on weight.  You'll have more reproducible results.
    I have found some. We don't have a scale. Getting married next month and have one on the registry we're holding out for. 
    Pratt, KS
  • westernbbqwesternbbq Posts: 2,181
    MattBTI said:
    I have found some. We don't have a scale. Getting married next month and have one on the registry we're holding out for. 
    Digital scale is super helpful, and if you use a recipe that goes by weight ratios you can scale to any quantity you need
    Jeff Varasano is super helpful.  Read it, practice it, know it. And then be a pizza rock star....

Congrats on wedding,  add a proofing box  to the registry as it'll come in handy
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 13,076
    KA has a useful conversion table (cups to oz or grams) if anyone's interested...

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/ingredient-weight-chart.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 10,225
    Dredger said:
    @MattBTI, you're welcome. The reason I use the bread machine versus my stand mixer is that the bread machine takes care of the first rise. Please let me know how it turns out for you.
    Always a wealth of knowledge and wisdom. Enjoy the Eclipse.
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

“Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil.”
    Enjoy the Eclipse.

Thanks @northGAcock. Hopefully the weather will co-operate and keep the clouds to a minimum. I hope it cools down for you guys. We are back to regular August weather and it's been brutal, but not as bad as your area.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • tz666tz666 Posts: 374
    Hibby said:
    I've had good luck egging pizzas with this recipe.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/pizza-dough-recipe-1921714
    how long can you keep this before you make the pizza? Can I make the dough the night before? Do I store it in refrigerator or just leave on the counter covered like I did for it to rise