Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Infrared thermometer

RememberTheAlomar
RememberTheAlomar Posts: 32
edited August 2017 in EggHead Forum
Hey all, first time, long time.  That is if you count getting a large BGE for Father's day this year as a "long time". You guys are a wealth of information, and I want to thank you for the hours I spend getting lost here reading about my latest obsession. 

Saw that Amazon was having a pretty large discount on these infrared thermometers, thought someone would be interested. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013X0NQT0/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A99MZGWBBIGK9&psc=1

Caveat:  I have no idea if it is good, but for less than$20 bucks... I just ordered one. 

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    They are cool and I would recommend everyone get one. Great for finding cold spots in the house and hot spots on your dog and thing in between. They won't tell you the IT of your cook. 
  • Lol, no, they will not tell you the IT of your meat, but they will tell you how hot your pizza stone or griddle are, won't they?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    edited August 2017
    Lol, no, they will not tell you the IT of your meat, but they will tell you how hot your pizza stone or griddle are, won't they?
    Not very accurately , the emissiivity level must be high ( like a blackened plate setter) and the emissiivity level of the IR needs to be close to the Emissiivity level of the object being measured .,,but it will tell you its HOT
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ok, then I suppose this topic should have been OT... I guess I assumed that since BGE made one, that it could be used to measure temp in the egg.  Thanks for the info. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    Ok, then I suppose this topic should have been OT... I guess I assumed that since BGE made one, that it could be used to measure temp in the egg.  Thanks for the info. 
    You can, and they work...beats putting your hand on something to see if it's hot, and that is a great price
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Lol, no, they will not tell you the IT of your meat, but they will tell you how hot your pizza stone or griddle are, won't they?
    They will tell you the OT of your meat.
    NOLA
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    So should we be cooking to OT now? So many things to keep track of while I'm drinking beer. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    It would be one way of checking on the temp of your beer. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The laser makes for a great cat toy. 

They are good for measuring relative differences between surface temperatures.  
    You will find lots of uses for it. I check the exterior temp of the Egg to impress company - 250º dome temp inside, 90º dome temp outside. My local BGE dealer really likes me, I've sent a dozen neighbors to him. Anybody that's ever touched the surface of their Weber and doesn't want that to happen to their kids will be interested in buying an Egg.

How hot is that iron skillet handle, and how hot is the skillet surface - things I occasionally want to know. My I/R gun is in a drawer next to the stove, my second I/R gun is in a drawer next to the Egg.

Get your oil up to 400º before dumping those taters in. You can lose over a hundred degrees in oil temp between batches... and getting close to hot oil with a Thermapen is not advised. Throwing a second batch of taters into 300º oil is not advised either.

Once you have it, you will use it.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    DieselkW said:
    You will find lots of uses for it. I check the exterior temp of the Egg to impress company - 250º dome temp inside, 90º dome temp outside. My local BGE dealer really likes me, I've sent a dozen neighbors to him. Anybody that's ever touched the surface of their Weber and doesn't want that to happen to their kids will be interested in buying an Egg.

How hot is that iron skillet handle, and how hot is the skillet surface - things I occasionally want to know. My I/R gun is in a drawer next to the stove, my second I/R gun is in a drawer next to the Egg.

Get your oil up to 400º before dumping those taters in. You can lose over a hundred degrees in oil temp between batches... and getting close to hot oil with a Thermapen is not advised. Throwing a second batch of taters into 300º oil is not advised either.

Once you have it, you will use it.
    I agree you definitely find a lot of uses. I often use it instead of an instant read when cooking inside just so I don't have to clean anything off. One recent example is I cooked some meatballs and then had them keeping warm in sauce on the stove. I use it to check that the sauce is close to 140. It is not super accurate but close enough for me and I don't have to wash the t-pen. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Just an important update, I received the device. My dog is approximately 84 degrees. This was well worth the 18 bucks. 
  • Unless you are a vet please don't try to check the IT of your dog
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    I bought one of these a while back and threw it in the "egging" box. I forgot I had it. Thanks for the reminder.