Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Walmart Score

Options
Could not pass up this 17" Blackstone today.  Online price said $51.83, but when I got to Wally World it was $49 even.  After missing out on a $40 lightly used 36" on Craigslist by 10 minutes a few weeks ago, I feel slightly better.  Started seasoning with flax seed oil and hoping it turns out ok.  My last year of coaching rec football starts Monday so not sure if I'll be able to fire it up before next weekend.
St. Mary's, GA

Comments

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    I'd be careful using flaxseed oil to season that. If I remember correctly there were several people around here who did that and the seasoning began to chip and flake off, causing them to have to reseason the griddletop. For what it's worth I used veggie oil and then cooked up a pile of bacon and mine came out great!

Enjoy, that's a nice little cooker you just picked up!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I'd be careful using flaxseed oil to season that. If I remember correctly there were several people around here who did that and the seasoning began to chip and flake off, causing them to have to reseason the griddletop. For what it's worth I used veggie oil and then cooked up a pile of bacon and mine came out great!

Enjoy, that's a nice little cooker you just picked up!
    I used flaxseed oil on some nice cast iron many months ago and it did indeed flake like crazy. It's Crisco from now on.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Like above, Crisco or grape seed seems to work for me, flax not so much. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Like above, Crisco or grape seed seems to work for me, flax not so much. 
    +1. I've tried flaxseed oil to season my CI (multiple times) and it always sort of flaked off. I found that lard, crisco, bacon, or grapeseed oil (in that order) work best. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SouthGaSmoker
    Options
    Well now y'all tell me!  =)  I'll keep an eye on it and if it starts flaking ill reseason with something else.   
    St. Mary's, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I think it was a suggestion from @fishlessman so I went to Aldi and sought out their cheapest bacon with the least meat so that was a lot of fat. Used that on medium heat using tongs to swab my 17". Threw away that crappy bacon, but it sure did the trick. After that every use just seasons it more and more.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    I used flax seed oil twice. First time and last time. That stuff is terrible. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

you guys make me want a tabletop blackstone

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    @SouthGaSmoker that's a good deal.. I'm happy for you but Walmart will never get another penny from me. About 4-5 years ago they tried to pass legislation against all veterinarians in the country so f€($ them