Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT?

Options

Comments

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    edited August 2017
    Options
    _______ism gone amuck. Crazy
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    I'm not sayin  I'm 100% in but I get where they are coming from.  Anyone that has lived in an area  blanketed by smoke for days and weeks from forest fires should also kind of understand . It's miserable.  They're just trying to keep any extra smoke out of the air.  If charcoal grilling was my only means  of cooking for whatever reason then of course they could kiss my white @$$.  Otherwise , I might play along until we could all breathe. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Libs.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    Options
    It's really awful there, makes sense for a short time. Health/safety, not politics. 
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I want to see someone post their caveman ribeye cook on a forest fire.  Great way to feed the firepeople (gender neutral)

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    The Seattle area is having a rough go of it between both the smoke and the heat wave which is likely to last another week or so.

I'd be fine using my gas grill, if I even wanted to go cook outside (which I probably wouldn't).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    The Seattle area is having a rough go of it between both the smoke and the heat wave which is likely to last another week or so.

Seattle heat wave? Is that mid 80s with a 90 degree day thrown in for good measure? Lol 
  • DoubleEgger
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I guess I was right. Must be hot in those flannel shirts and yuppie beards. #pansies #couldnthackitingeorgia

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I lived in Colorado in the summers of 2012-13 when the fires in the south of the state were out of control.  

Open flame ban for months each year. People losing their homes. It was chaos.

I would fire up the gas but left the charcoal and fire pit alone. I remember one month the air was so funky you could dust inside the house and the next day everything was covered in ash. 

Missrable. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• GATraveller
    Options
    It'll be "man buns" as far as the eye can see.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    Options
    I guess I was right. Must be hot in those flannel shirts and yuppie beards. #pansies #couldnthackitingeorgia

It's all what you are used to.

When you are used to the average daily high in August being in the mid-70's having a string of days with highs in the mid 90's isn't vey comfortable.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I'd be fine using my gas grill, if I even wanted to go cook outside (which I probably wouldn't).
    Rough time? Let them caravan to Pelosi's beloved San Francisco. They are a welcoming people. If they love illegal aliens a few million more libs should be just fine. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GATraveller
    edited August 2017
    Options
    HeavyG said:

When you are used to the average daily high in August being in the mid-70's having a string of days with highs in the mid 90's isn't vey comfortable.

Heaven forbid they feel uncomfortable.  #growapair #ordon't #therearemorethantwogenders

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    There's a big difference in uncomfortable and an excessive heat warning. It's uncomfortable here in Georgia for months on end. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    HeavyG said:

those are the temps here and ive been dying in them, no ac at home just ceiling fans, at work the ac is set on a timer for a start up 2 hours before i get in. im begging for winter to come soon. i could never live down south, even the dog needs a waterbowl in the truck when i head to camp, i have duncan donuts fill a cup for him with ice water =)  i hope for rain on fridays and drive with the rag top down just to cool off, strange looks driving in the rain with the top down, cant understand why i told the dealer no ac when i ordered it years ago :o
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Living in Lawrenceville, Georgia several yeas ago, I moved into my house in January. I had been moving stuff around and putting things up from the move, all day, and noticed the weather was colder than I had imagined it would be.
    That evening I finally got the media center set up and started with my tuner to preset the radio stations for the remote control.
    As soon as I dialed in the first station, I caught "This is a major winter storm warning". It was a Sunday evening, late in the night, and the weather announcer spoke for nearly an hour straight, of the closings already determined for the next day. Schools, Government offices, clinics, he spoke of emergency routes which hospitals will be fully staffed, grocery stores that will remain open, etc,.
    Then at the very end of this diatribe, he repeated "A major winter storm warning is in effect until 3:00 P.M. tomorrow. Severe weather is expected with temperatures in the upper 20's and snow accumulation possibilities of up to one inch."
    Talk about the need to GROW A PAIR....
    C'mon man.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Living in Lawrenceville, Georgia several yeas ago, I moved into my house in January. I had been moving stuff around and putting things up from the move, all day, and noticed the weather was colder than I had imagined it would be.
    That evening I finally got the media center set up and started with my tuner to preset the radio stations for the remote control.
    As soon as I dialed in the first station, I caught "This is a major winter storm warning". It was a Sunday evening, late in the night, and the weather announcer spoke for nearly an hour straight, of the closings already determined for the next day. Schools, Government offices, clinics, he spoke of emergency routes which hospitals will be fully staffed, grocery stores that will remain open, etc,.
    Then at the very end of this diatribe, he repeated "A major winter storm warning is in effect until 3:00 P.M. tomorrow. Severe weather is expected with temperatures in the upper 20's and snow accumulation possibilities of up to one inch."
    Talk about the need to GROW A PAIR....
    C'mon man.
    Reminds me of when I lived in Memphis.  Everyone freaked out because the weather got into the lower 20s for a day or two and snow accumulation.   Felt like I was king of the city b/c no one was out and about.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GATraveller
    Options
    That's because any precipitation that falls in below freezing weather around here turns to ICE and there's no equipment to scrape the roadways genius.  Don't care how seasoned a driver you are - you just can't drive on it.  

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Well are they aloud to still blaze up? Seems to me that would be a more effective way of controlling accidental fires....re: the stoners with clear heads.

No offense to you fine folk in Washington State.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I lived in Colorado in the summers of 2012-13 when the fires in the south of the state were out of control.  

Open flame ban for months each year. People losing their homes. It was chaos.

I would fire up the gas but left the charcoal and fire pit alone. I remember one month the air was so funky you could dust inside the house and the next day everything was covered in ash. 

Missrable. 

The big difference is the Waldon Canyon fire that ravaged Northwest Colorado Springs was caused by arson. 346 houses destroyed. Thankfully ours was not damaged but we had to evacuate the area for 8 days. We didn't BBQ for almost a year. Not because to do so was banned, it was because we freaked any time we smelled or saw smoke.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • saluki2007
    Options
    That's because any precipitation that falls in below freezing weather around here turns to ICE and there's no equipment to scrape the roadways genius.  Don't care how seasoned a driver you are - you just can't drive on it.  
    Weird, we get ice up here and the world doesn't end.  And before you say we have salt trucks and all that crap, once it get below a certain temp the salt doesn't work.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    Options
    sure you can drive on it =)

Image result for snow shopping cart georgia
    fukahwee maine

• GATraveller
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Weird, we get ice up here and the world doesn't end.  And before you say we have salt trucks and all that crap, once it get below a certain temp the salt doesn't work.
    Have you ever seen how people drive down here on a good day?  If so then you'd understand why it's a state of emergency on a bad one.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    Options
    There's a big difference in uncomfortable and an excessive heat warning. It's uncomfortable here in Georgia for months on end. 
    And you folks are used to that because that is normal weather for you all.

On the other hand, Northerners laugh at you Southerners when 1" of snow shuts things down and is described as a "snowmageddon".

• fishlessman
    Options
    if it hits 90 degrees up here the ambulances are out full time non stop
    fukahwee maine

• GATraveller
    Options
    Guess most folks up that way don't have A/C.  It's all about having the right equipment.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • saluki2007
    Options
    Guess most folks up that way don't have A/C.  It's all about having the right equipment.
    I thought it was the motion of the ocean?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GATraveller
    Options
    I guess for some of you...maybe.  =)

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    That's what you say when your equipment is undersized. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I wonder if they have a "smoke the herb" ban?  My guess is No.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95