Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone noticed this?

Options
Has anyone noticed a rock in the bag of big green egg charcoal? I ask because I have found about 3 or 4 in 3or4 deffernt bags? Always just 1 per bag?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Well played or new here?  Lump discussions are more volatile than religion or politics and best served late on Friday eve or Friday itself.  But I'm sure there will be more comments.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    No, I have never found a rock, or metal, or a chunk of refractory cement in my lump.

Also, my eggs have never had a cracked component, and I hear there is a portion of Arizona that has beachfront property.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ronw9471
    ronw9471 Posts: 112
    Options
    I have found rocks and cement chunks in several bags of lump. Nothing nefarious, just something that happens in the process I suppose.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I once found a piece of lump in my bag of BGE rocks. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    RO aka BGE Lump has been very very good to me. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    RO aka BGE Lump has been very very good to me. 
    WWMU - What would Myron Use 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Botch said:
    They put one rock into each and every bag of BGE Lump.  You can save them up and redeem for prizes, see their website.   =)  

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    They are just complimentary fire starters.  With enough practice, you can rub them together and start your lump faster than a MAPP torch.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Joshnkeri
    Joshnkeri Posts: 12
    Options
    Haha oh well that clears it up! Lol
  • Joshnkeri
    Joshnkeri Posts: 12
    Options
    Kinda figured it was just part of the process I was just curious. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Its not Friday!!!!

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    They're just part of charcoal production in the US and there's no getting around them.  Trees grow around rocks and encapsulate them, and when the trees are felled, they fall on rocks.  They're also get picked up with the loader scoop around the forest or at the plant.  In bagging, there's no way to tell the difference between a charcoal covered rock and a chunk of charcoal.  The only way I've been able to think of a way separating them is to float the charcoal across a water bath (as it would float, and the rocks would sink).......but then there's a whole new set of issues introduced with the water.  Soooooo, we overfill the bags by 0.4-0.6# to make up for any rocks, pieces of refractory from the kiln, metal banding from the slabs, etc.  Most of the time the customer comes out ahead, but in the case where they don't, it surely averages out in their favor by the time you go through a couple bags.

Not a lot of people know that briquettes are 30-40% rock by weight anyway (crushed lime).  So they can pay for a little rock or two in lump, or pay for 1/3 bag of rock in briquettes........which is why they can sell them so cheap.
    So are you suggesting we need to soak our lump as well as our wood chunks???  Oh boy! Haha!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    I have a nice collection going in the garden. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The rocks are heat retention units that you should welcome with your lump for the price.  Almost as good as a daily double.  Pour them in and you can L & S for 30+ hours.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    They're there to throw at pesky neighborhood children/pets that step on your lawn. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA