Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Question

Options
bigegger
bigegger Posts: 87
Last night I was prepping and seasoning a 10lb brisket for tomorrow's visitors when they called me and  canceled because of a family emergency.
It didn't make sense for me to cook the whole brisket for just the wife and I so I just cut it in half wrapped the other half in foil and stuck it in the freezer while the other half is sizzling right now in the egg.

Has anyone smoked a brisket from brick hard frozen? Any tips I should keep in mind? I'll let everyone know how my experience will be when I smoke the other half in maybe a week or two. 

thanks

LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island

Comments

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I certainly wouldn't go straight from freezer to egg. It's gotta be thawed or you'll have a solid carbon exterior by the time the center even thinks of stalling.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    Options
    Shoukd be fine, I do smoked sausage, ill freeze part of a batch and smoke some now, some later the frozen comes out fine....BTW I would have smoked the whole thing, vacuum seal the leftovers or use it during the week 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    The question I have is which way did you half it; length-wise or width-wise as there is a definite difference in the protein make-up between the two options.  Regardless, it is a done deal but I am with @lkapigian regarding cooking the whole thing.  If 10 lbs pre-trim then likely less than 9 LBs after that event and figure around 40-50% weight loss from the cook means easily consumable for two in short order.  Food for thought for the next time.  FWIW-
    And I would thaw before cooking the other half.  I generally start with a frozen brisket and give it a week to thaw before hitting the smoke.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    Agree with the above folks, I'd recommend cooking the whole thing and freezing any leftovers.  Chopped up point in particular is always good to pull from the freezer and throw in chili.  Also, last year around this time I smoked two briskets and froze one whole to take with us on our beach trip.  Packed in ice, thawed in the cooler/fridge, then warmed in the oven at the condo, it made for great breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I plan to do the same thing next weekend.  Really hoping my Smobot arrives in time for that cook!
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX