Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green MOLD! Ugh....

Options
Well this is a first for me...... I bought a nice piece of Salmon today for dinner and went outside to fire the LBGE, only to find mold growing inside...WTH. I have been out of town the last 10 days and it has been really hot and raining almost every day, but the Egg was covered??? Peeps who live in Atlanta...know it's been an unusually wet summer. On the plus side the grass is looking great..+1 for rain!. However I fired up the MM instead to cook the Salmon on, which came out great. Sorry no pics of said fish, I was too busy cleaning out the Large. I ended up taking everything out, and scrubbing the inside of the Egg with a wire brush. Then I loaded her up with lump and fired it up. I got the temp up to 700 at one point, then let it run 500 - 600 for about 2hrs or so, until the lump was gone. I hope everything is ok, never had that happen before. Here are a few pics before I went to work with the wire brush and the clean burn......ugh. 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    You're good. Not too uncommon with the mold. It seems more times than not people have mold issues when they use the cover. I think you can keep the lower vent open to help prevent the mold when being stored with the cover
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Just my opinion but I think you could skip the scrubbing.

Others in the past have recommended putting something between the dome and the base, such as a golf tee, to have a small ventilation gap.  Also, can open the lower vent in addition to that.  Just have to remember to do it the day or two after a cook. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SBGonzo
    SBGonzo Posts: 137
    Options
    Great idea leaving the lower vent open and using a tee. 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Happened to me once when residue from a low and slow was left in the egg and the weather got hot and humid. Simply got it hot and let the egg "self clean". No issues after that.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    It's happened to me many times, I'm afraid.  I bought the Smokeware caps hoping that being able to leave them ventilated rain or shine would help, but I'm not sure they made any difference.  Part of my problem is that for reasons that aren't worth explaining here there are times when I go for weeks without eating meat, fish, poultry, eggs, dairy, and I know I could grill veggies, tofu, etc., but usually the Eggs just sit there for weeks when I'm on a vegan kick.

I suspect that if I did a high-temp (700°?) when I know it'll be a few weeks, it might be fine when I come back, but I'm just sort of used to it, by now -- if I see a little mold (or a lot) I just burn it at 600°-700° for a load of lump and I'm good to go.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I never have mold problems in my large.  I don't cover it either, and I don't leave the vents open to store.  And it's about as hot and humid as it gets in New Orleans.  I think you should try not covering.  Covers trap condensation and keep everything humid.  Let the sun hit it.
    Options
    I cover mine usually with a Black Weber grill cover.  It sits on the porch (102 degrees) in the Sun.  Last night when I pulled the cover off the Egg was already ~150 degrees.   Natural Mold Killer.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I have to keep the bottom vent open on one of my Larges because my brother fried the gasket and it leaks when rained on......which has been a constant problem this summer.  My other has a functioning gasket and doesn't have this problem.  Guess it's time to order a couple of Rutland's from RRP

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited July 2017
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Others in the past have recommended putting something between the dome and the base, such as a golf tee, to have a small ventilation gap.  Also, can open the lower vent in addition to that.  Just have to remember to do it the day or two after a cook
    Yes, this will prevent mold growth.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    My XL with the Rutland gets moldy like that but not my medium with the stock gasket. I'll be going back to the stock gasket when I replace my cracked base next week. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    My XL with the Rutland gets moldy like that but not my medium with the stock gasket. I'll be going back to the stock gasket when I replace my cracked base next week. 
    What't your theory on how the Rutland gasket may be to blame in contributing to the formation of mold growing?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    What't your theory on how the Rutland gasket may be to blame in contributing to the formation of mold growing?
    No top gasket to "even out" any imperfections in the dome. I've adjusted the dome countless times to get it to quit leaking air(smoke). It's a very small amount but it's enough to cause an issue on my northern facing deck. The gasket is the only variable between my XL and Medium and the Medium with the factory gasket has never had mold in it. They sit three feet apart on the deck. 
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    Options
    Irrespective of your gasket issues…

The better the seal, the more likely to get mold growth (which is why using a golf tee to keep the top dome open, and keeping the bottom vent open a slit prevents mold growth).  When tightly sealed, heat builds up and moisture is released inside the dome, triggering mold growth).
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Ventilation is key , mold remediation with heat beats scrubbing 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
          I used to have mold problems in my eggs. After I started leaving the Smokeware vent and the bottom vent open after the fire is out the mold is no more.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • meatheads
    Options
    I have reported recurring  MOLD to this site many times and really have not received a good explanation BUT I have found a way to slow how often it recurs.
    FIRST RE CLEANING- I use a propane torch on the bowl and on the grates and plate(keep a bit away from direct flame on gasket.). You have to have the high intensity propane cylinder as that will stay lit at steeper angle than the horizontal. It's the yellow Benzomatic available at Home Depot and Lowes and really works well and FAST. The regular propane cylinder will go out if you try to use it on the grates or the lower bowl and plate.
    PREVENTING RECURRENCE- The mold needs lack of sunlight (BGE perfect for that) and humidity. The humidity is generated not by the outside environment BUT from absorbtion og moist gases whilke using the BGE and I think the ceramic surfaces have micropores that holds humidity. (TEST your gasket 2-3 weeks after a smoke and it will feel very humid. I tried keeping the lid open a crack but some heavy rains van penetrate through the crack and certainly you cannot keep the top vent open for rainwater will enter. SO ENTER THE DOME VENT CAP MADE BY SMOKEWARE which allows you to vent the top without rain coming in and that in combo with the bottom vent kept on maximum opening seems to work by allowing air to circulate.
    ALSO, the Smokeware vent cap allows me to use the BGE in the rain without the fear of rainwater entering the cooking area, as the vent openings are under the lip of the cap and are vertical.
  • meatheads
    Options
    re the mold-AND I DO NOT USE THE COVER ANYMORE AS THAT GREATLY CUTS DOWN ON AIR CIRCULATION.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited December 2017
    Options
    My Egg sees action at least once or twice a week all year round - no time for mold to form. I don't cover it, and it lives under a carport style shelter and does not get wet. If you use the Egg infrequently, leave it uncovered if you can. If you cover, put a small wedge on the lid to leave it cracked open and leave your bottom vent open. Mold loves a tight, still, moist, dank environment

You can burn off the mold with an extended high temp burn. 500 or so for couple of hours will cure it. Follow that up with a good clean out.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    rifrench said:
          I used to have mold problems in my eggs. After I started leaving the Smokeware vent and the bottom vent open after the fire is out the mold is no more.
    Same here.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Bayou_Buzzard
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Just my opinion but I think you could skip the scrubbing.

Others in the past have recommended putting something between the dome and the base, such as a golf tee, to have a small ventilation gap.  Also, can open the lower vent in addition to that.  Just have to remember to do it the day or two after a cook. 
    @kl8ton - do you do anything special over the winter with your egg?  First winter with the egg just west of you in GH.  Plan on cooking on it all winter and just want to see if there is anything that I need to be concerned about.
    From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I cover mine with the the daisy wheel and cap off and the draft door open. No issues 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @Bayou_Buzzard

No.  I don't cover.  It's fully exposed.  A day after a cook, if you remember,  put a golf tee or something between dome and base to prevent it from freezing shut.  

If it does freeze shut,  I light the remaining lump from the lower vent with a torch.  The egg will warm up enough to open the dome. 

Happy egging.  And Merry Christmas. I used to live in the condos by Clover bar.  Where are you located? 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Bayou_Buzzard
    Options
    @kl8ton - great pizza at the clover bar. I am on Milhouse Bayou on the east side. 
    From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.