Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

remember cecil

Options

Lions of Hwange National Park
last Thursday

Today we heard that a few days ago, Xanda, the son of #CecilTheLion has been shot on a trophy hunt by Zimbabwe PH Richard Cooke. Cooke also killed Xanda's brother in 2015, he was only about 4 years old then. Xanda is still a young father at 6.2 years old and has several young cubs. We can't believe that now, 2 years since Cecil was killed, that his oldest Cub #Xanda has met the same fate.

When will the Lions of Hwange National Park be left to live out their years as wild born free lions should...?

Image may contain grass plant sky tree outdoor and nature
Image may contain tree plant sky grass outdoor and nature
Bert Duplessis added 2 new photos — at Fish Eagle Safaris.

Remember Cecil? This is his son Xanda and in the other photograph part of his pride of lions - as seen hunting buffalo not far from Little Makalolo Camp inside Hwange National Park. The pride woke us up one morning at 0300A and were in and around the camp until well after day-break.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I never could understand trophy hunting.   
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    I never could understand trophy hunting.   
    Took me a while to catch on too.

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    There's only room for one Cecil....
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    Unless your going to eat it ... I could never understand shooting at anything.  There is just too much violence and incivility it our world as it is.
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Well, I can certainly understand shooting at certain game. However, trophy hunting unless needed for legitimate ecological reasons ( of which I cannot imagine what they would be) I don't get at all. Sad. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    "When will the Lions of Hwange National Park be left to live out their years as wild born free lions should...?"
    Well a good start would be for someone to shoot 
    Zimbabwe PH Richard Cooke!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    "When will the Lions of Hwange National Park be left to live out their years as wild born free lions should...?"
    Well a good start would be for someone to shoot Zimbabwe PH Richard Cooke!
    Come on now. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Unless your going to eat it ... I could never understand shooting at anything.  There is just too much violence and incivility it our world as it is.
    We've got groundhogs in the field behind our house. Apparently they thought it would be fun to invade our shed and dig holes next to our house. Right up against the footer, maybe 1.5ft deep. I'd happily shoot them and not eat them. Stupid overgrown rats...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2017
    Options
    DMW said:
    We've got groundhogs in the field behind our house. Apparently they thought it would be fun to invade our shed and dig holes next to our house. Right up against the footer, maybe 1.5ft deep. I'd happily shoot them and not eat them. Stupid overgrown rats...
    Agree completely, big diffference between lions, bears etc and groundhogs, rats or even rabbits. Groundhogs as you describe are the reason we have small calibre varmit guns. 
    Trophy hunting is something I could never understand. 
    BTW - old country trick to get ground hogs out is to put some of your dog's turds down their hole, assuming you have a dog, the other method involves a chamber pot, but not many of those around. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    DMW said:
    Agree completely, big diffference between lions, bears etc and groundhogs, rats or even rabbits. Groundhogs as you describe are the reason we have small calibre varmit guns. 
    Trophy hunting is something I could never understand. 
    BTW - old country trick to get ground hogs out is to put some of your dog's turds down their hole, assuming you have a dog, the other method involves a chamber pot, but not many of those around. 

I always preferred a .22-250

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Was this a hunt where the fees for hunting are used to provide for the operation of the park?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    DMW said:
    They're super aggressive too.  We've spent about $1200 getting our dog patched up after tangling with one.  It bit a hole clear through her cheek, if it had been an inch and a half higher she probably would have lost an eye.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    Really, really makes me sick thinking that someone is so disconnected from the Earth, that they feel they need to shoot and kill a majestic animal, in a canned or guided hunt, just to prove his...,,,,what??

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I have no desire to shoot a lion. If the fees go to support the park as mentioned above, an argument can be made for it. I don't care one way or the other. I remember when all the stink started about fur coats. Some said "we wear leather, what is the difference?" The response was "but we eat the beef!!" Do those people believe that the meat from the animals killed to make fur coats is thrown away? I would imagine it is used for dog food or something.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Most of the time the meat from animals like these are donated to the locals for food. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Yeah that sucks.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It is big time money to hunt that type of game and it's a substantial part of the economy in some of the poorest areas on the planet. It's not like folks can go down the local factory and get a job. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Turns out the lion had wandered a couple klicks outside of the national park into a forest where it is legal to hunt. The hunter was led by a professional guide with all the proper permits.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/21/africa/cecil-the-lion-cub-xanda-killed-game-hunter/index.html

Seems to me their rules should prohibit the killing of collared study animals regardless of their location.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Where the human species fills in a void they create in the food chain, and an invasive or out-of-control species starts becoming a pest (like: Ferrel pigs, nutria, cow-birds, groundhogs, rats, snufflufuguses, etc), we own the problem and need to humanely cull them. 

Hunting for food.

I understand the economic benefits of selling trophy hunts with sustainable animals to benefit the greater good in bankrolling nature.  I think the people that pay to do a canned hunt have small hands.  And, y'know, maybe some other issues, people tell me. 

So all that needs to be balanced with tourism, which seems to have a hard time coexisting with the game/canned hunt thing.  Whatever works, as long as the end goal is in the best interests of the big picture of nature, and not greed.  And is humane.
    Options
    Nobody cares about the lions anymore, now its only cool to hate Trump. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    not sure where the line needs to be drawn but its got a collar, its got a name, a well known family history.....its almost like seeing mr rogers dairy moo moo cow get shot during a moose hunt
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    not sure where the line needs to be drawn but its got a collar, its got a name, a well known family history.....its almost like seeing mr rogers dairy moo moo cow get shot during a moose hunt

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Nope 
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin