Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

you're my gyro

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,624
edited July 2017 in EggHead Forum
Made gyros again, not traditional, but not too far off, just some flat parsley and mint added into the meat.  Also made sous vide carrots for the first time, these had orange juice, a little butter and curry powder added.  I did finish them in a hot pan with a little honey and they were very good.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Very Nice ..What marinade ?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Nice looking cook there!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Cool! Tell me about the meat and how prepared 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Legume bro that looks awesome. Being in the hot weather had me not hungry till I seen this. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    Cool! Tell me about the meat and how prepared 
    Seconded 
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Legume
    Options
    Thanks.  Details later. Tired/buzzzzzed.
  • Legume
    Options
    @lkapigian no marinade (see below)

@CPARKTX & @tjosborne I did this once before, kind of a mashup of a couple of recipes. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2133968#Comment_2133968

This time I used 85% lean ground sirloin in addition to the ground lamb (Iast time I used beef that was too lean).  To the meat, I added garlic, salt, black pepper, marjoram, ground coriander, one diced onion (squeeze the juice out), about four 6" sprigs of fresh rosemary, a small handful of mint leaves and a handful and a half of flat parsley leaves.  I also used the food processor to mince and mix the meat. Last time I hand mixed and the grind was too grainy, so went with the food processor to make it more of a paste.  I formed a loaf and set out in the fridge for an hour or so to setup.  Indirect, top of the AR at 400 until 165 gave me a better crust than last time while keeping the inside moist.  Next time...I'll follow Kenji's suggestion to salt the meat and mix it up a couple of hours before hitting the food processor, but this time was better than last.
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Man, I love gyro's and yours looks awesome
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That looks awesome. We like the sous vide carrots as well. Instead of honey I used really good pure maple syrup on the carrots we cooked last night. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon