Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In appreciation of local farmer's markets.

Options
We are blessed to have two different, small farmer's markets within a three mile drive of the house and this time of the year we take advantage of the bounty. One is open on Tuesday and Thursday evening, the other on Wednesday and Saturday morning, so it is very easy to drop by and pick stuff up fresh.
Now, these farmer's markets are really just some local old-timers selling their goods from the back of their trucks, nothing fancy, but it is hard to get stuff much fresher or at a more reasonable price. 
Tonight I made some grilled thighs served with grilled corn, fried cabbage, marinated cucumbers and freshly sliced tomatoes. The squash and green beans I bought will be for tomorrow. 
Do you take advantage of your local farmer's markets?

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Ogden's having a big fight now, our Saturday-morning FM is being invaded by corporate farms from out of state, making "campaign donations" to muscle out the locals for best spots, etc.  
    Is nothing safe from f*cking greed anymore?   :s

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Prowe
    Prowe Posts: 26
    Options
    Went to my a FM for the second time in my life Monday.  Also second time in the span of a week.  Nice to have one near by. Where I used to live not so much.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Guys, I'm sorry.  I LOVE farmer's markets and because of a bad day I dumped a bunch of negativity here; I'm sorry.  :frowning:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Botch said:
    Guys, I'm sorry.  I LOVE farmer's markets and because of a bad day I dumped a bunch of negativity here; I'm sorry.  :frowning:
    It's all good. We live in a small town so far up in the woods we don't get the 6 o'clock news until 7:30. Don't have to worry about corporate farms having any interest in coming here, but it is an hours drive to the closest Costco. Seems like a fair trade off.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited July 2017
    Options
    We have one every Saturday on main street in Columbia. Three blocks long on both sides. Not only are there fresh produce, but many other local artist, craftsman and baked items. Buy local every time you can. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    We love our farmer's market and gladly pay more to support the small guys. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nice post.
    Aside from Des Moines, Davenport, IA's Freight House Farmer's Market along the River, is the second best in the state.
    I've been to Des Moines', it's in a league of its own, so awesome....but they bring it at the Freight House. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I live smack dab between these two wonderful places. Plus have a great local butcher and a family owned fresh produce store in the neighborhood.  Don't buy my meat and produce anywhere else.

http://www.findlaymarket.org/

http://junglejims.com/

Nothing better than a Saturday morning stroll through Findlay Market for groceries.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I have a bunch of FM around me, as well as farms with store fronts. Plus orchards. I get my milk delivered from a local farm as well.
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    I agree. Hard to beat the local farmers, both in quality and price.
  • ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    We have a FM that is 8 blocks of our house that is open Sat. mornings from May - Oct. that provides fresh veggies and other "organic" options (soap, coffee, eggs, and dipping sauces) depending on who is there. The produce is so fresh and inexpensive that we try to buy for the entire week. We have our favorite vendors/farmers that we buy from but we try to support someone new each week. The flavors of fresh produce cooked on the Egg is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Cheers,

Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    We have a FM that is 8 blocks of our house that is open Sat. mornings from May - Oct. that provides fresh veggies and other "organic" options (soap, coffee, eggs, and dipping sauces) depending on who is there. The produce is so fresh and inexpensive that we try to buy for the entire week. We have our favorite vendors/farmers that we buy from but we try to support someone new each week. The flavors of fresh produce cooked on the Egg is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Cheers,

We do the same thing on a smaller scale, trying to buy from different farmers each visit, or if there are only a few guys there we will buy tomatoes from one, squash from another, corn from another etc...
    The hope is all will feel their efforts are worth it and they will return, making for more choices for everyone.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I guess I was sort of lucky growing up where I did. There's always been a farmer's market. Used to be 2, but the much smaller one closed down in the early 60s. It has been around for over 100 years, w. the current association of members operating the building since the early 70's after a fire required rebuilding.

Yes, the prices tend to be rather high. But the quality and variety also tends to be higher.  Its a pretty large place, about 150 stalls. Not just produce. Meat, baked goods, a cafe and other food stalls. Crafts, antiques, etc. The main down side is some days its so jammed that walking from one end to the other takes 1/2 hour.

Also lucky to have an orchard about 5 miles away, and a friend's nephew been running an ever larger farm stand for the last 25 years about the same distance away. Sweet corn 10 minutes from being taken from the stalk!

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Ours is 3 blocks away. We have another 1 mile away. Life is good.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    One of the reasons we retired to Lancaster, PA, was the number of farmer's markets in the area.  The biggest ones are open all year.  Off season, they don't have local produce so they carry trucked in produce which is better quality than the local supermarkets since it is handled less.  The prices are always lower than the supermarkets and they have a great selection of fresh meats as well as produce.  There are also numerous farm stands during the growing season, so availability of fresh products is excellent here.

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Yep, went to the one yesterday afternoon. Market Square, New Albany, OH.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    local corn sign went up this week, pretty much just eating corn this weekend. fresh corn is not a side, its the meal, butter would be the side =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Ours is 3 blocks away. We have another 1 mile away. Life is good.
    Made even better by an abundance of fresh produce.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    We have great ones here in Charlotte.... Always great to get good fresh produce
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    There is a small dairy about an hours drive away where we sometimes go for fresh milk, butter and ice cream. Worth the drive.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    We're very lucky to have the Travelers Rest Farmers Market about 10 minutes away. http://travelersrestfarmersmarket.com/ Great vendors, live music, food trucks and a view of the mountains. Our grass-fed beef guy brings our order with him to the market so we don't have to drive to his store. Very convenient. We also have a very large farm about 10 minutes from our house with fantastic veggies. Can't say enough good things about buying local.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    In honor of Friday night, should this have been farmers (plural) instead of farmer's (possesive)?
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    Probably should've been plural possessive so farmers'. If they were talking about a single farmer being at the market then farmer's was correct. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    Probably should've been plural possessive so farmers'. If they were talking about a single farmer being at the market then farmer's was correct. 
    I think you are right as there are multiple farmers at the market.
    Now if there was a market and it was owned my a Mr. Farmer, then Farmer's Market would be the way to go.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    I'd crush a plate 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Dredger
    Options
    Your's seems a little nicer than ours.

Too funny @epcotisbest. Actually, we have a few of those around here too.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    @Dredger yeah, I thought that pic was funny. I went to our actual local farmers market very early this morning, before the sun came up. It is nice getting there early as the locals are setting up. You get the literal pick of the crop that early. Some really nice tomatoes, squash, cucumbers and corn today.
  • Dredger
    Options
    I hear ya @epcotisbest. We went to ours this morning and the farm, but it wasn't before the sun came up. Ours gets sold out pretty quickly too. Early bird gets the really good stuff.  =)
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC