Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook - turbo butt

Options
UNCHeels08
UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
edited July 2017 in EggHead Forum
Recently got my first egg (large) and tried a turbo butt for my first cook a couple weekends ago but just posting now.  8.5 lb butt rubbed with Dizzy Dust the night before, had a later start than I wanted due to issues getting the temp stable, but put it on at 325 grid temp around 9 AM with apple chunks, turned it up to 350 for the last hour or so to get it moving.

Took it off after about 8 hours or so at 198 IT since time was becoming a factor and I wanted to FTC for at least 30 minutes. Taste was great, but it was a little tough to pull apart compared to what I was expecting, I had been planning on taking it off around 202-205 and will try that next time for better texture that's more what I'm used to.  Next time I'll pay more attention to how the probe goes in.

Maybe I should have kept it on longer and skipped the FTC in a time crunch?  Not sure how important the FTC is but seems like most everyone here does it. Will try to get it going earlier in the morning next time.  

Had some trouble with the initial temp and a fluke 15 minute sun shower, but everyone that was over seemed to really like it and loved the look of it when it was done on the egg.  Sauce was a classic eastern NC one that I've made before - standard combo of apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, Texas Pete, crushed red pepper, black pepper, dash of cayenne.

Also did some simple burgers last weekend that my wife said were the best she's had, and I was very pleased as well.  80/20 ground chuck with an egg, Worcestershire, onion soup mix, Texas Pete, black pepper, garlic at 400 about 5 minutes per side, with some hickory chips.  Ended up medium well instead of medium like I was trying for but still really juicy and a great char/smoke flavor. Didn't get any pics of those.

Now I find myself thinking all week about what to cook for the weekend (weeknight cooks aren't really an option for me right now with my work commute and two toddlers). Leaning toward trying ABTs and wings.  Have loved learning from the forum the last few weeks and just wanted to share.

Raleigh, NC

LBGE

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    It looks good. PP like brisket are done when they are tender. Temp is only a guide.
    Bottom line is start your cook sooner. Easy to wrap a butt and hold it for several hours instead of rushing the cook.
    Basic ABTs are always a favorite. Just don't wimp out and try any kind of low fat cream cheese. It melts funky. We like the chive and onion.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Welcome aboard - even though the last thing we need here is another Tarheel.  I guess it is better than a UK fan...

(says the Blue Devil from Florida (originally) and Texas (last 21 years))

As for the pulled pork, @Photo Egg is spot on - as usual.  He is a Texan after all.  We don't expect folks from your part of the world to really know much about pulled pork, so we'll do what we can to help you limp along.   :)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• UNCHeels08
    UNCHeels08 Posts: 116
    Options
    Thanks. Yeah next time I'll try to get it on much earlier and hopefully won't have the temperature stabilization issues as I get more experience with it. And then rely more on the probe test. 

Good to know on the ABTs with the cream cheese, I could see my wife grabbing the low fat kind if I had her pick it up. 

Was also thinking of trying them with pimento cheese instead of cream cheese, or at least some of each. Seems like that would be good. 
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.  
    Regarding ABT's- I use habanero cheese for the filling binder, sometimes cut with cream cheese depending on the target audience.  Pulled pork makes a good option to mix for the filling but you can use about anything.  Experiment.  Finish-line is when the bacon is done and can take 45-60 minutes.  I run indirect at about 350-375*F on the dome.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Welcome aboard - even though the last thing we need here is another Tarheel.  I guess it is better than a UK fan...

(says the Blue Devil from Florida (originally) and Texas (last 21 years))

As for the pulled pork, @Photo Egg is spot on - as usual.  He is a Texan after all.  We don't expect folks from your part of the world to really know much about pulled pork, so we'll do what we can to help you limp along.   :)
    I'm actually from the great state on Minnesota...where we set up ice fishing huts in the middle of the road, apparently. lol
    And to make things even worse, I'm a Green Bay Packers fan. Ha Ha
    But I do have 10 more years in this Gulf Coast arm pit than you do, so I do pull for the Texans to get a quarterback and spend less than 100 million on him...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The last butt I did was an 8 pounder. I put it on between 9-10AM at 320° and it was done in time for dinner (5:30-6 as I recall). Each butt has a mind of it's own it seems.

You do NOT need to FTC a butt. The only time I do that is when it's done and I'm not ready to eat yet. I have been known to eat some while the rest is still cooking (one end was done, the other wasn't). =)

It's done when it probes with no resistance (in several places) or when the bone pulls free. I start checking about 195°, but don't bother checking temp after that. Here's a video of Chris Lilly. In the beginning of the vid, he removes butts from his smoker and pulls the bones out. That's what will happen when it's done. =)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj8M6KOkyw8

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    For your next cook:
    Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)

350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 

Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 

Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 

Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 

If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

I don't cook over the 100 minutes. 

Be sure your temp gauge is correct.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.