Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ON-Topic: When we die

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,471
I'm an active member of an audiophile forum.  One of our members had been battling cancer, kept us posted for awhile, then nothing.  One other member who'd met him personally did a bit of digging and learned he'd passed last April.  
It got us all to thinking, when we pass, do we have a spouse/friend/forum member who can let others know?  Do they even know about our membership in different forums?  I know that one acquaintance of mine passed three years ago yet Facebook still reminds me to wish him a "Happy Birthday" annually; no one is able to let his "contacts" know he's passed nor "turn off" his account.
Don't really know what I'm stating, or asking here, if anything.  Just wish there was a way for our on-line accounts could let others know we've moved on to the next plain, whatever that will be.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. Seriously.  This is the Internet.  No good way unless friends just post.  Perhaps an in memorium forum?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Sorry you lost a friend. Think it's got to be mutual friends to post 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Man, that sucks, and sad to think about.

On a lighter note, I wonder if anyone's had their ashes stored in a mini egg?

"Hey @bgebrent what's with the XXL clean burn?"  "another forum member kicked it.... this is how we send off eggers..."
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    Options
    blind99 said:

"Hey @bgebrent what's with the XXL clean burn?"  "another forum member kicked it.... this is how we send off eggers..."
    Brilliant!!  I've been striving to justify a XXL.  Thanks for the solution and $7000 savings!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:

Brilliant!!  I've been striving to justify a XXL.  Thanks for the solution and $7000 savings!
    I just designated Brent and a few other to alert all of my demise. You guys can have a celebration of life. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:

I just designated Brent and a few other to alert all of my demise. You guys can have a celebration of life. 
    What smoke wood do you prefer?  Make it hearty.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    It probably needs to be a standard codicil in a will, including passwords of course.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have nominated @JohnInCarolina @hapster @travisstrick @nolaegghead @Eggcelsior @henapple to notify the egghead community of my imminent demise.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,173
    Options
    I saw an Obit section on a Griswold collectors forum.  I laughed at it at the time but now I totally get it. BadInfluence comes to mind (RIP Brother) 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:

The XXL should not cost $7000, that's just crazy money. Figure it will cost you more like $10000, once you figure in a pergola and a new 15' x 30' patio...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    I have no IRL friends.  You guys will just have to assume @theyolksonyou pissed me off and I quit the forum.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:

The XXL should not cost $7000, that's just crazy money. Figure it will cost you more like $10000, once you figure in a pergola and a new 15' x 30' patio...
    $7000 in savings.  XXL is ~$3k vs. $10k burial.  So $7k in savings, plus the money he will make from smokin....err......cremating dead eggers.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    2nd Greatest movie ever.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,173
    Options
    2nd Greatest movie ever.
    Behind Tombstone of course 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    If and when the Good Lord calls me home, the last thing on Wilma's mind would be to tell you folks about it.  I suspect people stop posting for a variety of reasons like they got tired of it, they developed other interests to occupy their time OR they passed.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    2nd Greatest movie ever.
    Behind Tombstone of course 
    Nailed it in 1 .... just ahead of Starship Troopers. 
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Botch makes a very good point that can be expanded upon. 

In my case, I have a few forums in which I engage. 

Our 5th wheel forum is one that would require help if I passed away while on an adventure (we spent 10 years on the road). My wife knows who to contact and those contactees have agreed to drive my rig home.  

Another forum, about home automation, has me mapping out devices and ip topology so my son in law can assist, which will be needed. 

As for our precious Egg, she knows what it is worth and to put it on CL. She just does not have the interest in learning to use it although she loves everything (well, almost everything) I have cooked on it. 

As we get older, it is important to remember what holes are out there upon our passing.

Do you have a living trust so lawyers don't eat up your estate through probate?

Do you have all of your asset/investment accounts listed, with their passwords?

Do you have all your direct debit liabilities listed, with their passwords and how the bill is debited?

It's sobering to realize that she cannot speak to a Dish representative if she doesn't have the passcode. 

We don't store this information on a computer - we use old fashioned paper and pencil. 

Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    @JNDATHP you makes very good point.  A cousin-in-law passed away in his early 40s unexpectedly.  His wife wasn't tech savvy at all.  Luckily his dad & uncle knew enough to get into his computer.  I was only called in to get everything online since nobody knew the WiFi password.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    I saw an Obit section on a Griswold collectors forum.  I laughed at it at the time but now I totally get it. BadInfluence comes to mind (RIP Brother) 
    I just happened to come across this the other day...

https://quadcities.craigslist.org/cto/6178734913.html
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    How about something in gold to complement this one......

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

I too share that dark wonderment myself as "we are just a couple" if you get my drift and one of us, can barely use a computer. I agree with others here - people come and go from this forum so their ultimate fall off the end of the  conveyor belt of life may not even be noticed unless someone asks "whateverhappenedtoXYZ?" And even then the post may go unanswered for dudes like me.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Speaking of which, what happened to @stike @Darby_Crenshaw @JustineCaseyFeldown? If it was an epic meltdown or something like that, I'm not trying to rehash it. Just curious...
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited July 2017
    Options
    As I recall he left in a huff over yet another dry aging question and for some reason it really set him off. (Jeff, if I'm wrong you know my email to dress me down LOL.)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Speaking of which, what happened to @stike @Darby_Crenshaw @JustineCaseyFeldown? If it was an epic meltdown or something like that, I'm not trying to rehash it. Just curious...
    stike got real busy at work, lots of buildings going up in boston, darby got into cross dressing, and justine lost everything while binge drinking. they are all fine though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I need to relocate to a state where I have a choice and then be lucky enough to check out of any forums etc and then pull the plug.  Sounds like a plan...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Called me a fruitcake, then poof, justine was gone.

Another one off the proverbial conveyor belt.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    If I die and y'all find out before I get buried, will one of you please just swing by and stick a few jalapeño poppers in my coffin to send me on my way?

Or in case I'm not dead and just taking a heavy nap. The dr's at the VA are hit and miss. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    blind99 said:

D@mn....Brent gets all the good jobs.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow