Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Achievement - Unlocked!

Options
LindenEmry
LindenEmry Posts: 48
So I went ahead and attempted my first brisket this weekend.  Started the fire at 5 am and had it on my BGE by 6.  Total cook time was just shy of 11 hours on a 9 lb  brisket.   I followed the advice of my  fellow  forum -mates on the prep and follow through.  I got a beautiful smoke ring and the results were tasty but drier than hoped for.   I think my fire was a bit too hot at the end.   I'll be making some tasty chili from the leftovers.   First picture is just before the FTC.

The next is the smoke ring :

and the finished product (with trimmings):

All in all, I was pleased with the first attempt.  I can't wait for round 2.
In cooking you have to have a what-the-hell attitude. The only real stumbling block is fear of failure.   ~Julia Child

LBGE, 22" Traeger, and a  FireDisc deep in the heart of Texas

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Great result right there, especially right out of the gate.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    Looks awesome! Beautiful smoke ring 
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    Looks great. If you think it was dry, you can try wrapping it in butcher paper at about 165*. 
    Nice work 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    Looks pretty good to me, especially for the first one.  Was this a whole packer?  How many pounds?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    That looks great! my first brisket 10 years ago wasn't good at all, of course it was a flat and I had no idea what I was doing. I figured it was beef and had to be done at 165....wrong!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

I'd eat a plate for sure

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I got lucky on my first brisket but had a few bad ones in the middle.
    Yours looks great. Looks like you might not be cutting directly across the grain. You almost have to look at your brisket before you cook it to get a good idea of where it turns and runs. The experienced just know.
    Did you probe for tenderness or cook to a certain temp?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Oooooh Yeeeaaahhhh !!  Looks great !

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• LindenEmry
    Options
    Looks great. If you think it was dry, you can try wrapping it in butcher paper at about 165*. 
    Nice work 
    I wrapped in foil for this one at 165.  I'll try  the butcher paper next time.
    In cooking you have to have a what-the-hell attitude. The only real stumbling block is fear of failure.   ~Julia Child

• LindenEmry
    Options
    Looks pretty good to me, especially for the first one.  Was this a whole packer?  How many pounds?
    It was a small whole packer at 11 lbs.  down to  just under 9 lbs. post fat trimming.

• LindenEmry
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I got lucky on my first brisket but had a few bad ones in the middle.
    Yours looks great. Looks like you might not be cutting directly across the grain. You almost have to look at your brisket before you cook it to get a good idea of where it turns and runs. The experienced just know.
    Did you probe for tenderness or cook to a certain temp?
    I probably did not cut across the grain at the right angle. I should have notched the brisket to mark the proper cut direction.  I did cook to temp to 165 for the wrap and then to 202 for the final.  I should have started probing for tenderness around 195.

Thank you for all of the nice comments!