Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Possible cross-contamination question

Options
ShadowNick
ShadowNick Posts: 533
edited July 2017 in Off Topic
Ok guys, I may have screwed up.

I pulled some fresh local butcher ground beef out of the fridge and formed up 6 balls for smash burgers on the Blackstone and put them on a plate and put the plate straight in the fridge.  Heated the griddle till it was oil-smoking hot, and made my smash burgers.  Here is where I think I might have screwed up.  I may have put the cooked patties back onto the same plate straight from the Blackstone.

The plate looked clean, but I think i confused it with the actual clean plate I brought out.  I'm hoping that since I took the patties straight from the griddle to the plate, the heat from the cooked meat and grease killed any potential bacteria on the plate.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Edit -- I didn't realize I may have messed up till everyone was almost done with their burgers :/
Pentwater, MI

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Toss them back on the Blackstone for just a minute. 

Edit. Just read your edit. I'd blame the squirts on the neighbors potato salad.  ;);)=)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Ground meat is not like steak. Much higher risk of contamination from the butcher. (Mostly from the grinding process). That's why many restaurants refuse to serve ground beef less than medium. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Probably not much worse than eating a rare or medium rare burger though. I bet everyone is fine. If not, blame the potato salad :)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Well- too late now but you are likely ok. It's not something you would want to do on purpose but If you put the burgers directly from the BS on to the plate, the burgers would have been hot enough to kill anything they came in to direct contact with. There probably were some stragglers but we will hope someone with an iron gut got that one :). I think there is some risk but it is small. Hope it turns out ok!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Unless you or the people eating those burgers have some immunity deficiency issues which you already knew then I sure wouldn't worry about it! I do the same thing on a regular basis and haven't gotten sick or died yet! Now if you were talking about leaving a plate that had raw chicken on it and left it in the sun while cooking the chicken and then returned the chicken to that plate for an hour before consuming it  then maybe I'd be concerned.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I only use one plate, every time I grill..haven't gotten sick yet.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JustOneOfTheGuys
    Options
    IMHO, it's best to be more careful rather than not.  If that happened in a Resturant when a health inspector was there, well it wouldn't be good for the Resturant.  I always wrap the plate that I use for raw product in food film.  Then once you're ready and all is on he grill, you  can remove and discard the food film and have a clean untouched surface to use when it's time to take your cook off the grill without having to wash the plate beforehand.
    Southwestern CT
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    I only switch plates if I am cooking chicken. Never on beef. I would eat those burgers and not think twice.

Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    To minimize the plate issue, I usually put a piece of butcher or parchment paper on my plate before setting the burgers on it. I then prep with S&P or appropriate rub. When I put the burgers on, I discard the paper and use the plate for the post cook take into the house. Note as stated above, I use two plates with chicken. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i usually eat some of the raw burger from the package as im making the burger balls for smashing ;) been eating raw burger for nearly 40 years now. i guess that breaks all the safety rules
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    i usually eat some of the raw burger from the package as im making the burger balls for smashing ;) been eating raw burger for nearly 40 years now. i guess that breaks all the safety rules
    Do you wear gloves?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    To minimize the plate issue, I usually put a piece of butcher or parchment paper on my plate before setting the burgers on it. I then prep with S&P or appropriate rub. When I put the burgers on, I discard the paper and use the plate for the post cook take into the house. Note as stated above, I use two plates with chicken. 
    with chicken, open package, rub on top side, dump package on grill, rub on other side, shut dome =) why dirty an extra plate
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it