Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wrapping my brisket today?

Options
I see that many people wrap on the back half of the cook. I'm doing just a point. So I'm not sure if I will need to wrap. A few people have noted the fat content protects the meat in the point. Plus, I'm 6 hours into the cook, and the bark is far from bark. So more reason (in my limited experience) to think I should leave it naked for the entire cook. If I do a wrap... I'm just going to use part of the excessive amount of butcher paper that came with it. I'd prefer not to use foil. Thoughts?
Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The wrap is to either protect the bark if it gets too dark or smoky (that would be in an offset smoker) or to speed up the cook. If your bark isn't dark, there is no reason to wrap (unless you are in a hurry). 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    I am sure the pros will be along soon. I would not wrap it. It is a point and there is plenty of fat. Let it run nekked until it is done.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    Options
    Thanks, guys! No hurry here... Naked it will stay. 

I'm also wondering if I will rest it for a long period of time after I hit an internal of 190s? I plan to cube half of it for a re-cook (burnt end plan) tomorrow. The other half might just become dinner for later tonight. We'll see.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    How much you want to rest it is up to you. I would not pay much attn to the temp although 190's is usually close. Mine are usually done at 200 or a little over. Start probing it at 195 or so- when you can stick it all the way through with very little resistance, it's ready. If there are any tough spots, let it go yet a little more. It should feel something like sticking a probe in a cake. If you want to eat soon, just let it cool on the counter until you can easily move it around with bare hands before slicing. If you slice it too hot, the texture will be mushy. If you want to hold it for hours, stick it in a cooler. Will hold for many hours like that.

slicing a point properly is critical so make sure you are cutting against the grain. IT moves around in the point so keep an eye on it and always slice against the prevalent grain.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    Options
    How much you want to rest it is up to you. I would not pay much attn to the temp although 190's is usually close. Mine are usually done at 200 or a little over. Start probing it at 195 or so- when you can stick it all the way through with very little resistance, it's ready. If there are any tough spots, let it go yet a little more. It should feel something like sticking a probe in a cake. If you want to eat soon, just let it cool on the counter until you can easily move it around with bare hands before slicing. If you slice it too hot, the texture will be mushy. If you want to hold it for hours, stick it in a cooler. Will hold for many hours like that.

slicing a point properly is critical so make sure you are cutting against the grain. IT moves around in the point so keep an eye on it and always slice against the prevalent grain.

Thank you! I had not considered my slicing plan yet. And I will definitely use the probe once I get into the 190s.