Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT - worth a shot!

sloveladslovelad Posts: 1,741
so I am buying this egg today on Craigslist. Seller originally wanted 350 and I offered him $100. And he eventually bit.

so why do you care? I'm going to give it as a gift to my father in law who he had a rough year. (He was in a bad car wreck where someone hit his truck on the way to work and he flipped and broke his neck.) and you know how it goes, when shiit happens it all seems to pile up. They were hit with a bunch of medical bills and then there AC went out.. etc. etc. 

that being said, he loves to grill but his old gasser took a crap on him, so I have been waiting for the right deal to come along. I'm giving it as a Christmas gift so I have plenty of time to bling it out.

SO : IM LOOKING FOR HAND-ME-DOWNS. 

I want ant to make it look cool for him without spending a ton of money, which will probably happen anyways.

i need a thermometer, new bands, firebox, gasket, ash gate, and maybe a nest or mates? 

Anything that anyone has laying around that they don't want? 

Like the title says, it's worth a shot. And I know the people on here are very generous and giving. So why not ask?

Comments

• WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 6,676
    What a cool gift and even better thought!
  • epcotisbestepcotisbest Posts: 2,035
    Very kind and thoughtful of you. Hope it turns out great. I don't have any spare parts to contribute, but you are right -worth a shot. Good luck. I hope you will update with pics of the rehab project results.
  • sloveladslovelad Posts: 1,741
    Very kind and thoughtful of you. Hope it turns out great. I don't have any spare parts to contribute, but you are right -worth a shot. Good luck. I hope you will update with pics of the rehab project results.
    Will do for sure! Thanks!
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 11,104
    What's wrong with the bands etc. 
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 11,104
    Is the seller the original owner? If so negotiate the ceramic parts. No cost to him. Just saying. 
  • Ozzie_IsaacOzzie_Isaac Posts: 9,110
    I have some brand new BGE thermometers that were takeoffs.  Shoot me a PM with your address and I will mail one out if you want one.
    If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing.

XL, Medium, Minimax, Mini, Blackstone, WSM
  • WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 6,676
    If the bands and vents are in working order you could probably just clean them up. That's what I did with the mini I restored. Rusty and crusty prior to stripping and painting.
    This should buff out right?

On a good note, the bands are in pretty good shape, they are newer than the egg
    I have some brand new BGE thermometers that were takeoffs.  Shoot me a PM with your address and I will mail one out if you want one.

@Ozzie_Isaac thanks brother!

• henapplehenapple Posts: 15,986
    Order a new bottom vent 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    @henapple luckily my dealer carries them