Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First overnight cook

Options
Yno
Yno Posts: 529
I was tired of getting out of bed at O'dark thirty to put on a pork butt and not pulling it off until very late at night, so I decided to do an overnight cook. Bought a nine pound bone in butt, rubbed it and put it in the refrigerator overnight, and put in in the XL BGE around five thirty last night at 225. I figured 18 hours should do it, but the butt had its own plan. It was only up to 193 so I goosed the BGE to 275 for an hour and took it out at 204 degrees. The Flame Boss 300 kept a rock steady temperature. I did the FTC for an hour and then pulled it. It was VERY good. Lots of left-overs for sammies, pulled pork pizza, pulled pork pasta, pulled pork mac-n-cheese, and whatever else we think of.

I wanted to do a low and slow, but next time I will do a turbo butt for a comparison. 
XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.

Comments

• Yno
    Options
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Yno
    Options
    The picture of the pulled pork was less than half of what we got - we had to dig out some more bowls.
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Overnight cooks are my favorite.
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    There is something very satisfying about an overnight cook. Nice work.
    Stillwater, MN
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    I enjoy being out at the smoker the hour before the sun comes up. The birds really singing as the sun comes up. Usually at that point in the cook the smell of the pork mixed with the smoke is intoxicating. I'm usually at the 18 hr mark at that time. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    You misspelled "wino" in your handle. 

=) 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Looks great and overnight cooks are the best, but how many times did you check your FB from your phone?  I was like a kid on Christmas when I got mine and didn't sleep all night.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    long overnights are my favorite, love waking up and pour some coffee and hang with the egg early in the AM
    O-Town, FL

• Yno
    Options
    You misspelled "wino" in your handle. 

=) 
    When you drink too much of it, you just can't spell it!
  • Yno
    Options
     I actually slept pretty well, until four a.m. when I had to get up to release some of the previous night's wine. The FB was still holding temps perfectly, so I didn't have to check it more than once every two minutes after that!  =)
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Nicely done on you first overnighter. To me, the stress of getting it set up right and going overnight is a lot less than the stress of racing to get things finished when people are waiting. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX