Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First reverse sear...wow

Options
Decided to have a treat for Father's Day Eve. Rest of family out of town except for my daughter and me. Wife not a big beef fan, so steak was definitely on the menu!

Got two Prime boneless Strip steaks at local butcher. Rubbed them with St. Elmo's steak rub (Anyone from Indiana knows St. Elmos). Cooked indirect at about 275 to IT of 120, then pulled them and cranked up the heat to dome temp of about 650. Seared 90 seconds each side on cast-iron grid. Also had done asparagus purchased that morning at local Farmer's Market on the gasser at same time. Include a good IPA and a Ceasar salad, and it was a good Father's Day Eve meal indeed...

Egging in Indy...

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I can see a New York strip underneath the blazing sky
    I'll be where the steak's searing higher and higher
    Gonna be your man in motion
    All I need is a pair of wheels
    Take me where the future's lying St. Elmo's fire
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    That steak - first reverse sear ever.... thing of beauty!
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    Reverse sear is the only way I cook a steak anymore. You can't beat it especially with super thick steaks. Happy father's day!!
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Nice! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Dude. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Life changing, isn't it? Well done sir. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Nicely done.  Did a reverse sear myself last night.  The only thing is it looks like you are cutting off the best parts of the steak.  What's up with that.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Great cook-way to bring it home.  Congrats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.