Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Post: need some of your best info!

Options
This is my first post to the forum. I am a Large BGE owner and always make any excuse I can to fire it up.  Having a friendly BGE cook off in a couple of months at a buddies house. Several friends have BGE's so we are cooking for bragging rights.  Shoot me your best ideas or recipes for ribs. If you need to send a link or post a picture of the recipe, whatever is easiest. Input will be greatly appreciated. 

Look forward to learning some things on here. 

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Just sneak into all of your buddies back yards and tip over there eggs... you will be the undisputed champ...

on a serious note, there are so many ways to do them, I assume you will get a vast array of different options here.

i personally like the 2-2-1 method if I have time.

250 degrees - 2 hours meat side down indirect, 2hours in foil  w/ apple juice and apple cider vinegar(give or take time depending on how meaty they are ) - then roughly an hour on the grill with sauce.

many guys here do them hotter around 325-350 but it's all personal preference 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    Welcome @gotnorules

Lost of recipes on here just search by "ribs" or "brisket" or whatever you are interested in. Also try out this link for lots of Egg recipes - http://mountainegg.com/Recipes/

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just double checking-but is it just a rib cook off or any dish? 

I have thought about this before. Is there a rule to the type of ribs? I bet most people will show up with loin (baby) back pork ribs. You could show up with beef ribs. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Or lamb ribs
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Yeah I vote beef shortribs and you will blow everybody out of the water. 

I need to learn to stay away when I'm even remotely hungry...Thanks to 
    @Biggreenpharmacist now I'm craving short ribs.  Those look so good and I have a nice full bodied Zinfandel that would work nicely together.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    This is my first post to the forum. I am a Large BGE owner and always make any excuse I can to fire it up.  Having a friendly BGE cook off in a couple of months at a buddies house. Several friends have BGE's so we are cooking for bragging rights.  Shoot me your best ideas or recipes for ribs. If you need to send a link or post a picture of the recipe, whatever is easiest. Input will be greatly appreciated. 

Look forward to learning some things on here. 
    Beware of bitter losers of the cook-off. Welcome aboard.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ... Shoot me your best ideas or recipes for ribs...
    1)  I'm sure you're already planning to do this, but actually TRY the things you're thinking about so when the "real" time comes, it's not just a recipe but you've actually cooked it and you know how it goes and what it's like.

2)  My own favorite ribs are the Bourbon-Glazed Ribs from the Smoke and Spice book.  Someone posted it several posts down on this page.  I always smoke ribs without foiling at all, but others like foiling.  Maybe try some both ways and see what you prefer.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    You'll probably win with Car Wash Mike Ribs
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Babyback Ribs:
    225F x ~5 hours, feltline raised, indirect, rib side down. Peel the blue skin off the back, prior to cooking or prior to serving after the cook. Smother in mustard, then use your rub. Last week I used Galena Street Rub from Penzy's. Smoked with peach. No foil, no spray, no turning, no sauce. It will make your tongue slap your brains out. Tender, moist, and juicy, with a spicy kick. Provide a couple sauces at the table. You will win.
    Next?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Great advice above.  Get the ground rules defined well in advance unless you can see the obvious beef rib loop-hole and then just sit back and wait to drop the hammer.
    Unless you take after Allen Iverson then practice, practice, practice.  And acquire as much as you can about the judge(s) preferences regarding pull from the bone, texture, initial flavor profile etc.  Will be subjective in the end-game most likely.  Good luck.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gotnorules
    Options
    Smokeypitt, mainly just ribs. Some folks may be doing other dishes but mostly just ribs and no real rules. Thanks for the insight I will hopefully try some of these or combine some ideas and get something that turns out great.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yeah I vote beef shortribs and you will blow everybody out of the water. 

@Biggreenpharmacist, man, those look SOOOO good. As far as I know, I have never had them! I know for a fact I have never cooked 'em. Sheltered life, I know. That is about to change.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Those were a while back off a calf I had butchered. They were VERY good and made for some great pics!  I like to pull that one out for a post every now and again. 

Little Rock, AR

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @Carolina Q I know your aversion to srf but I caught some on sale a year or two back and have a good steak pic I throw in a thread given the chance. Was definitely a splurge but was special occasion and no more than I would have paid for a night in a restaurant and WAY better. 

Little Rock, AR