Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous vide with ziplocks

Options
Gym
Gym Posts: 366
I'm occasionally finding that when I remove food from the sous vide that the bag has a fair bit of liquid in it. I'm using the heavy ziplock bags. Does anyone else have this issue? It just seems like I'm boiling the meat rather then enjoying the benefits of properly cooked "sous vide" food.
Your guys expertise would be appreciated. 
Thank you.

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Well you aren't boiling the meat, because your sous vide won't reach boiling temp of 212 for a reason.

you are cooking the meat in the juices, and keeping it from losing too much flavor. It's a win win for me.

i find the most liquid comes from cheap cuts of meat like country ribs, but in my opinion it doesn't bother anything 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Agree with @slovelad
    Try double bagging a similar meat to find out if it's water coming in or moisture being drawn out of the meat.
    It is amazing how much liquid gets pulled out of most SV meats.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    You will have some liquid in the bag, even when you vac seal.  
    Are you using the brand name Zip lock bags or store brand and what temp?  After a certain temp the bags seams can fail.  Also are you using the displacement technique before closing the bags?
    Agree double bag if you think the bags are failing.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Gym
    Options
    Yes they're brand name freezer bags. Never cooked higher then 165. I'm using the displacement method. I will try double bagging.  If there is a huge advantage to a vacuum sealer I would consider getting one but was hoping the freezer bags would be enough.

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Gym said:
    Yes they're brand name freezer bags. Never cooked higher then 165. I'm using the displacement method. I will try double bagging.  If there is a huge advantage to a vacuum sealer I would consider getting one but was hoping the freezer bags would be enough.

are you sure that this is  water leakage and not just the meat expelling juice while it cooks? 

How to tell the difference? -Does your bag leak when you take it out of the bath?  If it holds the juices in, it was also keeping the water out.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    FWIW, I once tried using ordinary zip bags in my vac sealer. I was able to do it, but it didn't STAY done. I assume the edge seals leaked. House brand bags, not Ziplock. Never tried it again.

Anyway, if the edge seals leak that could be your problem.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Gym
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Gym said:

are you sure that this is  water leakage and not just the meat expelling juice while it cooks? 

How to tell the difference? -Does your bag leak when you take it out of the bath?  If it holds the juices in, it was also keeping the water out.

It seems like alot of liquid to have come out of the meat. That being said, the bath water (not in the bag) looks clear. I would have thought if the bag had a leak that the bath water would show signs of juices in it?
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Does your bag leak when you take it out of the bath?  If it holds the juices in, it was also keeping the water out.
    Between this and your comment that "the bath water (not in the bag) looks clear", I believe you have your answer. There is always some liquid in the bag after sous vide cooking, because it comes out of the meat. Some more than others, but there is always some.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Gym said:
    It seems like alot of liquid to have come out of the meat. That being said, the bath water (not in the bag) looks clear. I would have thought if the bag had a leak that the bath water would show signs of juices in it?
    It seems you have no evidence of leakage.  In that case, I don't see a need to change a thing.  Keep on truckin
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Gym
    Options
    Thanks for your input. It just seemed like too much liquid to be strictly from the meat. I'll double bag to confirm this was Infact what was happening. 
    Thanks again all.
  • Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Options
    Are you submerging the bag fully into the water?

When I use resealable bags, I force out as much air as possible using the displacement method, then I clamp the "zip" part of the bag up out of the water so it won't leak.

For my Foodsaver bags, I'll submerge those because I trust the seal.
    Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• Gym
    Options
    I'm leaving the zipper out of the water. Is your food saver the electric vacuum type? I'm curious how much better these are
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Gym said:
    I'm leaving the zipper out of the water. Is your food saver the electric vacuum type? I'm curious how much better these are
    The strength of the seal, on a quality, properly sealed food saver bag, is far better than a ziplock. buying one, not even considering SV, was one of the best investments I have made for storing and freezing leftovers and bulk food. I also live on the Gulf Coast where everything rusts. I seal lots of stuff for storage.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Gym said:
    I use a Foodsaver but rarely seal the bags. Much simpler to just clip to the top of the pot. 
    Advantage of a Foodsaver or other vac sealer, is you can prep the protein, like ribs, season and a touch of sauce, seal the bag and freeze it. Then go right from the freezer into 147ºF sous vide, for about 18 hours then finish on the egg or chill in an ice bath and into the fridge for a day or two until you want to finish on the grill - maybe an hour or so. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,535
    Options
    Even for tough cuts like brisket or pot(chuck) roast I don't sv higher than 145-155 and still get plenty of meat juice in the chamber sealed bags... at 160-165 you'll be 'extracting' even more juice.
    canuckland
  • Gym
    Options
    I have so much to learn about sv! Great ideas to prep food for later in the week. 
    I never thought that the more I cook, the more I extract from the meat. 
  • Corvus
    Corvus Posts: 30
    Options
    I have had good luck with both ziplock brand and foodsaver vac bags.  I've used them both sealed and unsealed.  The only time I had a leak is when I trusted the factory vac seal on a pound of bacon.  It did not hold up for 20 minutes and burst wide open.  I discovered that oven bags, like you'd cook a turkey in, are  BIG, CHEAP and hold up on long cooks of large cuts.
    Blessed are the flexible for they shall not get bent out of shape.

LBGE, Weber Genesis II, Weber Performer, 2-WSM, PKGrill, 22" Blackstone, KettlePizza, Joule, ChefAlarm, Smoke, 2-ThermaPens.
  • Gym
    Options
    Oven bags seems like a great idea for larger size cooks. I googled this and it also showed a"steam" bag made by ziplock, although a little too small for most things.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Funny, I don't have a sous-vide appliance, but I do have a vacuum sealer, which I use quite often.

I've found that a gallon of boiling water in a good quality cooler, with about a quart of room temp water added, plus a vacuum sealed bag of room temp steak will hold 170º for several hours according to my Thermopen. (I lose about 5º every 4 hours, if I don't open the lid to check like I did the first time)

I call it "Redneck Sous-Vide"  works great, saves a ton of lump.

I have a pork shoulder I was thinking of trying the cooler sous vide trick, probably won't get much of a bark between 150 bath temp and 190+pull temp but it should be nice and tender.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Photo Egg
    Options
    Gym said:
    Oven bags seems like a great idea for larger size cooks. I googled this and it also showed a"steam" bag made by ziplock, although a little too small for most things.
    The steam bags are great for steaming veggies  in the micro wave but not suitable for SV of proteins.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Meat is about 50% water. At cooking temperature, around 126F, the muscle tissue breaks down, and the water goes loose. If the meat was brined w. salt, wet or dry brine, the salt ions in the tissue will hold and retain some of the water. The expressed juices are great on the meat after a sear if there were spices and herbs in the bag, or used as a gravy base when without.