Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Type of Big Green Egg to buy.

2»

Comments

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    I went through this myself, and the large was the most recommended size. It apparently is the biggest seller. Even my dealer said it would be all I need for the two of us. Naturally, I bought the XL. I have never regretted that decision. I even made a raised grill and have used that when company comes and I have done appetizers, dessert, veggies, and a lot of protein on the Egg. Love my XL!
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    We've had our large for a year now - 90%+ of the time just the two of us.  I love the flexibility the large gives us - when its just 2 I can make the entire meal on the egg.  As long as the gasket seal is good I'm able to re-use the lump across multiple cooks.  When family or friends are over I can do big cooks without issue.  Finally, I couldn't imagine making smaller pizzas - they go too fast even when just the two of us to make anything smaller!

Until recently I kept my weber kettle as I could quickly grill veggies or burgers and dogs for the kids while the main meal is on the egg the few times a year I needed the space (gave it to my sister yesterday since after eating food from the egg she wanted to "slowly" get back into real (read "not with gas") grilling/barbeque.   Any charcoal/lump holding grill can stand in for this role, but gifting the old weber will likely lead to a new/added kamado purchase on my part...
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96
    I also have a large for the two of us.  There are times I wish I had an XL but 95% of the time the large is perfect!
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Only regret I have ever had about buying an egg was I bought a medium.   2 years later I sold it for a large.   Only two of us 99% of the time.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • I've had a large for so long that the XL was years from even existing when I bought.  That's what I recommend. Use the savings to load up on accessories and you'll always be able figure out a way to cook whatever you need.
    Best - Jack
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Love my XL 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Large is the flagship, get at least one. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."