Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Type of Big Green Egg to buy.

Options
We are deciding on what type a big green egg to buy. I was thinking of getting a medium but most likely will get a large even though there's only just two of us in our house. You never know who's going to drop by. Any suggestions would help.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,347
    Options
    Welcome! 

I cook for two the majority of the time and I went with the large. I've added some accessories from CGS to give me more real estate and adaptability. 

The large is a great size for two, IMO. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Many of us went through that decision process. Only two in my family as well, and I'm extremely glad I got the Large. Anything smaller would definitely be more difficult to work with for the cooking I do.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Large here for two of us as well. It has been enough for us and provided enough space for entertaining a few, too.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Another vote for the LBGE but many will offer "get a big as you can afford."  You can't create more real estate.  Should you land on a LBGE you will likely end up with some after-market (either purchased or home-made) rig to get more cooking area.  Regardless of where you land don't look back and above all, have fun.
    BTW- welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ugdlocal13
    ugdlocal13 Posts: 12
    Options
    I thank you very much for all your comments. Looks like the large egg wins.
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    I cook for one. Started with a large, added a mini-max, large primo oval, and a blackstone.

There are times I have had all three eggs going at the same time.

Tempted to buy an xl oval, a small BGE, and a WSM.....

This was a slippery slope that I didn't see didn't see coming when I bought my first one three years ago.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I think the first of your five eggs should be a large. Then you'll want a smaller "daily driver", then the xl will show up to keep up with the popular food you put out. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I added a MMX to my XL because it's quick and easy to fire up and uses a lot less lump. A smaller size Egg is really useful to go with a Large or XL, then you can do anything.

Edit: Meat is not normally the problem for me with the MMX, I can cook meat for the boys easily but when you want to grill veg more space is really useful.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I have a Medium and a Large, and I usually cook for two.  On one hand, there's no question about the fact that I cook MUCH more on my Medium, and I love it, it's just perfect most of the time.  But... on the other hand there really are times when the Medium is just too small and I'm glad I have the Large.  And sometimes I've had them both going at once.

Overall, I agree with all of the posts above: I'd get the Large for what might be my only Big Green Egg.
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Cashfan said:
    I cook for one. Started with a large, added a mini-max, large primo oval, and a blackstone.

This was a slippery slope that I didn't see didn't see coming when I bought my first one three years ago.
    I like the idea of the oval.  I'm so lazy and sometimes don't want to bother with putting in the pizza stone for indirect cooks on my bge
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Kind of tough to put a full packer brisket, full rack of ribs, whole turkey, or two butts on a medium......you just have to be attentive to the size of pieces of meat.  The medium will work just fine for most of what you'll cook for 2, but there are sometime you'll want the large.  And for $150 more, you can just get one of those and use a minimal amount of more charcoal to run it.  Plus, lot more accessories for the large than the medium when it comes to cast iron griddles, half moons, rigs and stackers, etc.  Large is the most popular size by far, medium is #4 or #5.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    I was cooking for 6 when I got my large last October 30th. Now I'm down to 4 and I've added a MiniMax for smaller cooks
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I started with the XL and would never want a smaller if I only had one.    However a large to add to the XL would be great.   You can get more aftermarket stuff for the large but I like the larger grate on the XL for large briskets or cooks for company. I also have a double rig for it which I use a lot to bet more space especially with ribs.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    The medium is all you need. Great cooker. Everybody who has a medium loves it. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    XXL or don't bother!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Having owned a MM, MBGE and LBGE, I can tell you that even when cooking for two, an additional consideration should be the cooker's ability to accommodate bakeware. Most pans, pots, griddles, Dutch ovens, etc. will fit on a Large whereas they will not generally fit onto a Medium. Personally, this alone would be reason enough for me to go Large. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Large is a good all round size.  If you think you'll eventually end up with two eggs, then my pick for a combination would be a Medium / XL.

Phoenix 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I can concur with "get a big as you can afford."  It is just the wife and I and occasionally the kids and I have an XL.  I have lit the XL for as little as a single hotdog.  As I have stated before, you can always do a smaller cook on an XL, its harder to do a bigger cook anything smaller. 
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    I would definitively go with the green one !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Options
    I think the first of your five eggs should be a large. Then you'll want a smaller "daily driver", then the xl will show up to keep up with the popular food you put out. 
    Agreed! :)
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    I've got a medium and it has done everything that I ask of it. Most of the time I'm just cooking for one but I've cooked a lot of pork loins(two 4.5 lbers) and spatchcock turkeys(14 lbs) for family potlucks. My next will be a large though just in case and in order to have two eggs for more extensive menus.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Start with a large... you'll be glad you did... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    odie91 said:
    Cashfan said:

I like the idea of the oval.  I'm so lazy and sometimes don't want to bother with putting in the pizza stone for indirect cooks on my bge
    I use the oval almost exclusively for smoking, i haven't use the split grates/diffusers at all. It was going to replace the large, but I can't part with the large, we've been through a lot together. If I had an XL Oval it might a be different story. Can get a little more on the large oval then I can the large round, but not by much. 

I also picked up a kamado joe divide and conquer system that fits my large, but it is still in the box. Picked up for 70% off at the hardware store that was closing, couldn't help myself at that price.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    We are deciding on what type a big green egg to buy. I was thinking of getting a medium but most likely will get a large even though there's only just two of us in our house. You never know who's going to drop by. Any suggestions would help.
    Been there done that. There are only two of us as well but I bought the XL and have not regretted my decision.
  • SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    Options
    Get a Large. 
  • BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    Options
    I say get the large. Majority of the time it's just my wife and I, but the large never feels like overkill for 2. 
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Large
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    Large here as well. It is usually just the 2 of us here but we are able to cook for all our guests as well.

Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I have  an XL, Large,  medium, small and mini. If I could only have one it would be the large. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    I've got a large with a two-tier system and rarely (if ever) do I need more capacity.  Man, you're gonna love your new BGE.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.