Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking for myself(wagyu)

Options
The lady of the house and kids are in Chicago for the weekend so I decided to treat myself to an early Father's Day gift. Picked up a 28 day dry aged wagyu strip at the market. Decided on some fingerling potatoes done in the searing skillet as a side. Seasoned the potatoes with evo, salt and pepper. Steak got just salt and pepper. Potatoes and a blue cheese chicken bomb went on 30 minutes before the steak. Even though the steak was only a little over an inch thick(I asked for a thicker cut but, the c team working was unwilling to ablige) I went with a reverse finishing in the cast iron. Steak only took 8 minutes at 375 to get to an internal of 115. Thanks for looking. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    Options
    Great self-treat and brown water right there.  Way to enjoy.  Time to schedule the next trip... ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Outstanding there my brother!  And happy Father's Day. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I recognize some Blantons to boot. Bravo Jeff!
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Looks delicious. Always nice to treat yourself. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Oh I bet that was so good!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Damn

Little Rock, AR

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Wagyu and Blantons? That's what's up 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @CoMoBGE
    Outstanding looking grub. It actually made my anus pucker a little. Great job :clap:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Nice slab and choice of adult beverage.

Way back when I was a plank owner on the USS Kentucky. Instead of being christened with champagne per tradition, it was splashed with "Kentucky Champagne," a mix of bourbons from several distilleries. Additionally each crew member over the age of 21 got a commemorative bottle of Blantons. 

Saved it for 11 years or so and drank it the day I retired from the Navy. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    looks awesome. great job
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    You have to take care of yourself... and you did in a fine way...   ;)
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    Thanks for the compliments. This was only the 2nd time doing the wagyu and I was much more impressed this time. I liked using just salt and pepper instead of one of the normal steak rubs. It brought out more of an earthy/nutty flavor in the steak which I enjoyed. Sadly that bottle of Blantons is down to its final pull(good thing there is already a backup). 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    SGH said:
    @CoMoBGE
    Outstanding looking grub. It actually made my anus pucker a little. Great job :clap:
    Leave it to SGH.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Great looking solo meal!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    Options
    I am really excited to start aging some beef even if it's not wagyu grade. Even though I have a 19cf refrigerator,sitting next to a 19cf freezer, she has always been hesitant(In her words "I'll through that somewhat rotting beef in the trash") to start the process. I have acquired a 2 year old fridge for the garage due to my parents recent kitchen remodel. The lady and I had a bargaining session and I am allowed to age as much meat in the 2nd fridge as I want, until which time she deems that it will not be allowed. I think I came out pretty good on this treaty!