Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Peach Cobbler - To Pre-Heat or not to Pre-Heat... that is the question

Options
pflug
pflug Posts: 106
We are going to try a 'dump cake' version of a peach cobbler tonight.  Nothing crazy just the canned peaches, cake mix and butter.  I've seen some videos but always open to good advice.

I was planning on 350 deg indirect for 45 minutes in my new Lodge CI dutch oven.

QUESTION - Do I heat up the Dutch Oven before filling it with the ingredients... or load it at room temp and put the whole thing on.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I'm no baker but I would bump that temp to 400. No need to preheat. Maybe some nonstick spray and you are good. Looking forward to the pictures.
    Snellville, GA

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I would let the temp stabilize a bit and get the ceramics heated well. You want that heat from a hot/warm dome. 
    Snellville, GA

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Have you tried a forum search? There is an excellent PC recipe / thread. I'd start there. 

Phoenix 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Got a link @blasting
    Snellville, GA

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Sorry, I'm mobile today.  It was a good thread,  worth looking for.
    Phoenix 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    I misread. I thought you said a thread that you started. Yeah the search will bring back plenty to read regarding cobbler. Makes me hungry as hell 
    Snellville, GA

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    This is the one:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1160874/the-ultimate-peach-cobbler

I have been meaning to make this for 3 years now.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Thanks @SmokeyPitt If I don't make that this weekend I suck. 
    Snellville, GA

• pflug
    Options
    Thanks!  Bumping the temp.  Keep your fingers crossed.  
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    You've got this. The thread Smokey posted says 375° so I wouldn't sweat it. 350-400 and you are good.
    Snellville, GA

• canoebldr
    canoebldr Posts: 16
    Options
    I've made a peach cobbler a couple times using a deep CI skillet, I preheated pan, dropped in a stick of butter, a cup of brown sugar and a splash of Captain Morgan, stir until sugar and butter melted, pour in a yellow cake mix, when you stir cake mix instead of a cup of water use half cup of buttermilk and half cup of Captain Morgan. I ran the Egg between 375-400 for about 50 min. to a hour until it past the toothpick test. Good stuff.
  • pflug
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the guidance.  As I mentioned... this was a quick and dirty fun try for my daughter and me to try cobbler in the new dutch oven.

Here's what we ended up doing;

- Simple dump cake recipe with some canned peaches got fancy and added cinnamon and cloves to the cake mix... added a nice flavor.
    - 400 deg, 50 min, indirect.  
    - Took the lid off for the last 5 min (should I have had it off the whole time?)
    - Served with some vanilla ice-cream.

I think there were some parts that were not fully cooked, but it was sweet and yummy anyway!  Everyone loved it.  I'll check out the link and maybe get a little fancier next time.

@canoebldr - thanks for the CI skillet recipe (made me think I should have left the lid off).  One thing I noticed from your recipe... no peaches?  LOL...  I wsa laughing to myself that if there's enough Captain Morgan, my guests might not notice!!!

Thanks everyone.

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Looks great. I'd vote for removing the top next time and see what you like best. Probably a better crust with no top. 
    Snellville, GA

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    You asked for advice so my tipsy grandma is taking the wheel here.

Sitting on a swing with my grandma from Mississippi right now...took one look at me and said, "why the hell do y'all cook cobbler on a grill!?!"

The woman is a peach cobbler goddess. She makes a blackberry peach cobbler combo that will make you believe in a higher power. Do not take this lightly. I stabbed a cousin with a fork over it. I wasn't invited to his wedding a decade later...and it was worth it. 

So when I tell you this it might as well come from Proverbs. Trade secrets inbound. 

1) Canned peaches. Stop. Fresh peaches, slice, and sprinkle sugar on them to pull natural sugars out prior to the cook. 

2) Egg wash.  Put it on your crust and sprinkle with heavy granulated sugar. 

3) No lid. Never. Ever. 

4) Crisco your CI. Then wipe and butter. 

5) Heat your cast iron at 200 degrees. Then form your crust. Let it elevate a few minutes. It will keep the bottom from getting squishy but not give a "pot pie" or "Irish pie" crust (I just got a super racist look about the Irish on that)

6). Put all your ingredients in a strainer for a few seconds prior to putting them in the CI. The fruit is too juicy for its own good. 

You are welcome. Mostly because nobody should ever hear their grandma say the word juicy three times. 

Obviously you did dump cake so you didn't do a pie crust bottom. If you try it that way it's like two dishes. It's basically cake-pie. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @pflug my grandma adamently said if you make it please don't stab your cousin.   

To which he replied just now in a text message. "You took the corner piece. You stole my birth right!"

I would keep this between you and your daughter 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• canoebldr
    canoebldr Posts: 16
    Options
    @pflug  Oops, i forgot to mention the peaches, I think you figured it out.