Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Ultimate Peach Cobbler

I've been a huge fan of Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler since my Boy Scouting days when we would dump a can of peaches and a box of white cake mix in the DO and throw it on the campfire. Most times it came out charred black on the bottom but gooey good on the top. Many years later, when I got my BGE, I began a quest for the ultimate Peach Cobbler. I think I've found it.

My first few attempts on the BGE were variations of that old Boy Scout recipe. Each was cooked to perfection in my old DO over the plate setter, but the cobblers were always too sweet, too sticky, too dense, or too something...  Then I found a recipe from an old Southern Living magazine. Eureka!  I tried it several times in the DO with fresh peaches and with canned, and it turned out great each time. Then one night after doing some steaks on the Egg, I had a craving for some cobbler but didn't want to break out the DO. So I grabbed 12" cast iron skillet that was handy. The results were every bit as good as the DO cobbler and the clean up was easier. Still getting use out of that Cooking Merit Badge!

The recipe and a couple of pics are below. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups sugar (divided into 3/4 cup each)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 cup milk
4 cups (about 4 large) fresh peaches, pealed and sliced (or canned equivalent, drained)
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Preheat BGE to 375 degrees. Melt butter in DO or cast iron skillet. Combine flour, 3/4-cup flour, 3/4-cup sugar, baking powder and kosher salt in a medium bowl. Add milk and stir just until the dry ingredients are incorporated. Without stirring, pour batter over the melted butter. Heat remaining 3/4-cup sugar, peach slices, lemon juice, lemon zest, cinnamon and nutmeg over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until sugar has melted and all ingredients are fully mixed. Without stirring, pour the peach mixture over the batter. The crust will form over the peaches during baking. Sprinkle cobbler crust with additional cinnamon if desired.  

Comments