Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eye of Round French Dip Sandwiches

Options
Was grabbing some groceries and saw eye of round roasts on sale so I grabbed a small 3 pounder.  I love purchasing meat and figuring out what to do with it later.  After some searching I decided to cook and slice for sandwiches.  Rubbed with Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express, and cooked indirect at 325 dome temp.  Pulled the meat at 125 internal temp as I was looking to have some pink throughout.  Wrapped it and placed in the fridge for a few hours after a 30 minute rest.  Cut nice and thin on the slicer, and served on a roll with provolone.  On the side was a healthy serving of au jus thanks to the often mentioned recipe from @RRP.  Thanks for Looking.

After Pulling

Coming off the slicer

Sambo Time!

L BGE
Paoli, PA

Instagram

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Looks GREAT!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Nice!

Little Rock, AR

• Corvus
    Corvus Posts: 30
    Options
    Good looking recipe.  I scooped that one into Evernote for future reference.  Thanks for sharing.
    Blessed are the flexible for they shall not get bent out of shape.

LBGE, Weber Genesis II, Weber Performer, 2-WSM, PKGrill, 22" Blackstone, KettlePizza, Joule, ChefAlarm, Smoke, 2-ThermaPens.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,540
    Options
    Awesome!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Is that the chef's choice 615 slicer?

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Beautiful job right there. A great roast in my opinion. Sorry to hijack....but would like to share a memory from my child hood. 

As a child, my mom cooked an eye of round roast every Sunday for lunch. She would drop in the (oven) just before heading out to church. My older brother and I would make a quick exit and run home to pull it, in order to prevent overlooking.....we loved a nice medium rare. Rice and gravey, butter beans and an asparagus cassatolle rounded out the meal. The eye of round remains one of my favorite roast today. Thanks for jogging my memory of some great meals. My mom was a great cook and a big influence on my love of cooking. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Wow -- that looks gorgeous!!!  I only cooked one of those once, but thinly sliced as you did, it was great!  Looks like you really nailed the medium rare -- looks perfect!
  • BJM2932
    BJM2932 Posts: 119
    Options
    Thanks Fellas
    Is that the chef's choice 615 slicer?
    Its a chefs choice 645 that is actually my parents.  I have considered buying the same one, but am always surfing craigslist looking for a deal on a commercial slicer.  It would be total overkill, but think the nostalgia would bring me back to slicing lunchmeat at the Acme after high school.  

Corvus said:
    Good looking recipe.  I scooped that one into Evernote for future reference.  Thanks for sharing.
    You got it.  Im saving as well for guests during football season, and maybe even before then.  
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• BJM2932
    Options

Beautiful job right there. A great roast in my opinion. Sorry to hijack....but would like to share a memory from my child hood. 

As a child, my mom cooked an eye of round roast every Sunday for lunch. She would drop in the (oven) just before heading out to church. My older brother and I would make a quick exit and run home to pull it, in order to prevent overlooking.....we loved a nice medium rare. Rice and gravey, butter beans and an asparagus cassatolle rounded out the meal. The eye of round remains one of my favorite roast today. Thanks for jogging my memory of some great meals. My mom was a great cook and a big influence on my love of cooking. 
    That's not a hijack.  We also had many Sunday roasts in our house when i was younger. However, my Dad does not like any hint of pink in his meat so they were always well done.  While I did not adopt my Mom's roast cooking skills, I have learned a great bit from her.  I also learned that if i'm cooking beef for my family, have a well done serving for Dad... 
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Dude.....mouth watering 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Outstanding! 

• Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Options
    Looks great to me. I haven't done this yet but I will soon.

Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yes, oh yes.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I bet that was a good sammie!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    That was one of the very first things I cooked on the BGE. I did everything wrong that you could possibly imagine, and it still turned out very ok. I made wraps for a couple of weeks with that cook. 
    Your offering looks a million times better than mine did, very nicely done. Ku freakin dos, on this cook.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice work man.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Great cook. That look wonderful. I need to add that to my rotation.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    One of my favorite cooks, great job!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    I did these yesterday using the Joetissierie as it was already on there. I have to say these were fantastic to say the least. Will definitely be added to the rotation. Same with the au jus. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Strong work.  I need a slicer.

Phoenix 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Man I need a meat slicer.  That looks great.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    HOLY!!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Larrycg
    Larrycg Posts: 49
    Options
    Awesome cook! Looks delicious! I'm going to have to do one of these soon.
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    @BJM2932, wow what a great cook!  That is a winner and one I'll borrow and serve all fall, thanks for sharing!  I definitely need a sliver.....  also love all of the local hints in the picture. Sorry to change meats but since we're almost neighbors, have you found prime whole packer briskets anywhere locally?  I can get them from the butcher at the Lancaster farmers market on rt 30 but they are pricey....
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • BJM2932
    Options
    da87 said:
    @BJM2932, wow what a great cook!  That is a winner and one I'll borrow and serve all fall, thanks for sharing!  I definitely need a sliver.....  also love all of the local hints in the picture. Sorry to change meats but since we're almost neighbors, have you found prime whole packer briskets anywhere locally?  I can get them from the butcher at the Lancaster farmers market on rt 30 but they are pricey....
    The best I've been able to do is buy a choice packer at Shady Maple market out past Honey Brook.  I want to say it was on sale for 3 something a pound.  I priced them from the same butcher on rt 30, and decide to keep shopping around after hearing the price.  It makes me so jealous reading about the access some guys here have to brisket!  
    L BGE
    Paoli, PA

Instagram