Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry aged or wagyu/ akaushi?

Options
SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
I'm thinking of ordering some nice steaks for a summer get together with friends. I was looking online at Heartbrand Akaushi steaks https://heartbrandbeef.com/product/strip/ , SRF Wagyu steaks http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-beef/steaks/new-york-steak/american-kobe-new-york-strip-1.html , and dry aged steaks from Flannery beef http://www.flannerybeef.com/butcher/dry-aged-new-york-strip-mw.html

They seem to be competitively priced - which got me to thinking... Unless I misunderstand the Flannery beef is the only aged beef between the three. Does anyone have any experience/ advice as to which would be a more tender and flavorful cut - dry aged or Wagyu/ Akaushi? I'm interested in the New York strip steaks if that matters.
What says the collective intelligence of the forum?
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    "which would be a more tender and flavorful cut - dry aged or Wagyu/ Akaushi?"

seems like the beefy flavor would go to the dry aged, tender would go to the other 2.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Get a couple of each and serve sliced up, have a taste off.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I love dry aged steaks. They are $20 lb at our local so we get them all the time. I split a SRF Gold NY strip loin with a buddy last year. I have never had anything even close to it. It was incredible. The fat melted on my countertop like butter. 

Cant go wrong here but the SRF Gold was something I have never had before or since. Best. Ever. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @The_Cen-Tex_Smoker Thanks. I think you convinced me on the SRF steaks.
     Where do you get dry aged steaks? Next trip to see the daughter I might pick some up. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I read this post....3 hours of Internet reading later I am over here like "Can I buy a mini fridge on Amazon Prime to dedicate as a "dry aging" fridge. Aaaaand buy."

This forum is forcing me to live in another tax bracket. 

Also I am with @Legume. Taste off. Or we will never really know. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• SciAggie
    Options
    Legume said:
    Get a couple of each and serve sliced up, have a taste off.
    That's a great idea. I'm not sure I want to pay shipping from two vendors though for one meal. I could get one this time and another later. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    I read this post....3 hours of Internet reading later I am over here like "Can I buy a mini fridge on Amazon Prime to dedicate as a "dry aging" fridge. Aaaaand buy."

I understand the wallet genocide. My wife and I were just discussing if it was worth the expense for a grinder and stuffer for sausage. It never ends...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Brother Sci, consider shelling out for the SRF tomahawk ribeye.  3# and reverse Sears unbelievably.  Feeds 4 and is a show stopper.  Just my 2 cents.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Photo Egg
    Options

Not sure how small you went. If you really did buy a mini fridge, be careful. Most of the minis are more made for beverages and do not get cold enough for aging. Most in the low 40's. Also isue with temp consistancy and no air circulation.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SciAggie
    edited June 2017
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Brother Sci, consider shelling out for the SRF tomahawk ribeye.  3# and reverse Sears unbelievably.  Feeds 4 and is a show stopper.  Just my 2 cents.
    I am open to that. I love the way those monsters look! Either way, I take it you give a nod toward the SRF sreaks?

Also - will that tomahawk fit on the large?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Photo Egg doing a pony keg fridge with pre drilled holes and a rack. That way I can run a fan inside it through the line holes. 

Called a few buddies to chip in...they are getting the wrath of the story of the Little Red Hen. They are about to start learning to make bread. 

@bgebrent may have a point there as well. I have been eyeing one of those tomahawk ribeyes. 

@SciAggie my meat grinder takes forever as it's a hand me down hand grinder. Another thing to add to the list. 

If we all lived on the same street this forum would be a lot easier to navigate. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    Options
    Yes to SRF.  I'd dry age my own if that was the goal. Go SRF for a special meal.  That tomahawk fits in the L.  I'll copy my post here with one that was rested then seared on MM ( could be seared on the L just as well).
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    bgebrent said:
    I am open to that. I love the way those monsters look! Either way, I take it you give a nod toward the SRF sreaks?

Also - will that tomahawk fit on the large?
    You could always hack a little off the old end of the bone to make it fit. I still think you would have lots of Wow Factor. But I have seen past posts of just closing the dome with the bnes sticking out.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    @SciAggie

Salt & Time in Austin sells Akaushi Beef from a ranch here in Texas. We but a lot of it and love it.

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    @Photo Egg doing a pony keg fridge with pre drilled holes and a rack. That way I can run a fan inside it through the line holes. 
    Sounds perfect. Hope you keep us posted on how it works.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SciAggie
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    @SciAggie

Salt & Time in Austin sells Akaushi Beef from a ranch here in Texas. We but a lot of it and love it.

Great. I'll stop by next trip to Austin. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @bgebrent I remember that post. Thanks for saving me the time finding it again. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @bgebrent I remember that post. Thanks for saving me the time finding it again. 
    Of course my friend.
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    @SciAggie - Call Heartland and ask where they distribute locally. In Houston they distribute to a grill store that sells for basically cost - so I'm sure there's a location in the Austin area that sells Heartland that would certainly be cheaper then online due to the packaging costs related to shipping the raw meat. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    SciAggie said:
     Where do you get dry aged steaks? Next trip to see the daughter I might pick some up. 
    I recall a post that H-E-B sells dry aged beef. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Photo Egg
    Options
    @SciAggie - Call Heartland and ask where they distribute locally. In Houston they distribute to a grill store that sells for basically cost - so I'm sure there's a location in the Austin area that sells Heartland that would certainly be cheaper then online due to the packaging costs related to shipping the raw meat. 
    Where is the grill store in Houston that sells Heartland. Would like to give them a try.
    Thank you.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @HoustonEgger Thank. I'll do that. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    HEB in Lakeway does, but most do not from what I've seen.  I think it would be limited to their higher end stores which blur the line between HEB and Central Market.  Two HEBs near me, one is old school and doesn't have a meat counter, the other is nicer and does have a meat counter, but doesn't regularly carry dry aged.  I believe Cen-Tex has said the one in Lakeway has a dedicated cabinet with aging beef where you can pick the cut and the age.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Legume said:
    SciAggie said:
    HEB in Lakeway does, but most do not from what I've seen.  I think it would be limited to their higher end stores which blur the line between HEB and Central Market.  Two HEBs near me, one is old school and doesn't have a meat counter, the other is nicer and does have a meat counter, but doesn't regularly carry dry aged.  I believe Cen-Tex has said the one in Lakeway has a dedicated cabinet with aging beef where you can pick the cut and the age.
    Yes...the Lakeway HEB has great dry aged meats. The pricing is often cheaper than Angus beef. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    SciAggie said:
    They do. Its fantastic. Dropped the price from $29.99 to $19.99 every day for strips and ribeyes. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    Options
    Ooooh, I need to take a ride then.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    You can purchase the Heartbrand beef at Bolner's Meat Market in SAT.  We like the beef.  Nicely marbled and fork tender.  I have not had SRF beef, so I can't compare.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    @SciAggie

Thanks for the info about Salt and Time.  We usually go to Bolner's when visit family in SAT...The wallet takes a hit!! Getting it locally here in Austin means I don't have to buy in bulk. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx