Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Level With Me?

Options

I'm in the planning stages of building my Egg cooking station. It will be located alongside an existing stone patio, which has a good slope to it for drainage, 1/4" per foot.

Since the table/counter is going to be on a slope, how important is it to have the table, and Egg, level?

I can build it either way, but it seems wrong to slope the table. Then again, a level base will be either higher than the patio at one end, or lower at the other.

The Egg will be freestanding, in it's nest, downhill from the table, and also have the same 'elevation' issues.

Any advice?

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
XL with the usual accessories

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    At least level the platform/shelf that supports the Egg.
    To me, that would be the crucial part.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    dont see a problem side to side being unlevel. if it tips forward though it does not take much for the dome to drop (dont know about the newest hinge assembly)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options

I guess the levelness of the egg is important for how many soufflé's I might bake...

Bob

New Cumberland, PA

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Also for drip pans. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    It's easiest to level the base area first and build on that.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    If you made an 8' long table (which would be Yuge!) that's only a difference of 2"  from one end to the other (I'm assuming this is a "built-in" table and not one that rolls around).  
    I'm an engineer, and am OCD; an unlevel table would drive me bonkers, but that's me.  There's a lot more than 2" difference between my kitchen counter, my dining table, my workbench, and my gardening cart, and I can adapt to any of them easily.
    Or, you could build a two-level table, that'd be an interesting way to tackle it!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Use the recommended table nest and shim as required. 
  • Kayak
    Options
    Thanks to those who offered their advice. I think I'll level the table and Egg, just to eliminate chasing tomatoes and onions across the patio, and if I ever bake something, it won't overflow. I do wonder if those of you who have perfectly square tables on wheels ever have any issues with the sloped drives and patios they sit on?
    Now for the issue of covers versus a roof...

Bob

New Cumberland, PA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The cooking/prep table i have outside by the eggs is shimmed to slope a bit. To keep rainwater from pooling on it. The eggs are in nests, and I never bothered to check if they were level. My patio was also built with a 1/4" per foot grade. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Kayak said:

My eggs are on a covered patio deck inside a screened enclosure.

I still need a cover otherwise the table and eggs get dirty just from being outdoors.

PS - very creative thread title.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Kayak said:
    Thanks to those who offered their advice. I think I'll level the table and Egg, just to eliminate chasing tomatoes and onions across the patio, and if I ever bake something, it won't overflow. I do wonder if those of you who have perfectly square tables on wheels ever have any issues with the sloped drives and patios they sit on?

My Eggs sit under a porch at the rear of the house near a door. I think the fact that the Eggs are under a roof and that I don't have to mess about taking covers off means that I use them more.
  • KeithEGG
    KeithEGG Posts: 10
    Options
    My 2 cents make it a level table in case you put it on a level surface. But shim it up so it it is level on your table. That way it works now and later ( if you ever move it)
    keith
    BGE XL
    Indianapolis
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Is it going to be on casters? If so, shim one end of casters so you can use later on another level surface.
  • Kayak
    Options
    @tspud1 it is not. It will be stationary, built in alongside a patio. I want something permanent, non-wood, maybe with a concrete top.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    Kayak said:
    @tspud1 it is not. It will be stationary, built in alongside a patio. I want something permanent, non-wood, maybe with a concrete top.
    if its stationary put leveling pads under it instead of wheels, the swivel stud helps it fit the slant better

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it