Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3-2-1- spare ribs

bamaegger
bamaegger Posts: 6
seems like the ribs are done before I get to the last hour 

Comments

• bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    2 is way too much in the foil. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    First up-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey. Above all, have fun.
    Every pig is different but the 2 hours in the foil after 3 hours on the BGE will lead to an early finish-line like you have eggsperienced.
    Change up the foil time to around an hour and then see where you are with the process.  There are many ways to achieve rib greatness.  The foil step will lead to the fall off the bone end result if carried on too long.  Sort out what you want and then change one thing at a time til you arrive at the promised land.  You will get there.    

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ENOegg22
    ENOegg22 Posts: 34
    edited May 2017
    I started a similar conversation recently. Idk why the 3-2-1, and 2-2-1 methods are so popular, at least from google searches, because they completely overcook the ribs. I guess it's because by wrapping you're less likely to dry them out, and they're almost guaranteed to be tender? I'd experiment with a 4-6hr no wrap cook.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1205431/2-2-1-st-louis-ribs-fail
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    I have been going 3-1-1 and think they come out just right. 
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    I no longer foil.  275 grate temp, spray with 50/50 apple cider and apple juice every after 1 1/2 hours and every hour thereafter until they past the bend or toothpick test. Glaze with sauce if desired for 20 minutes and then pull. Total cook time is around 5 1/2 hours. Meat is tender, not fall off but that is what I prefer. I also believe the quality of the meat makes a difference. I prefer Compac Duroc but I am fortunate to have a local butcher that carries them.
  • Gravytrain84
    Gravytrain84 Posts: 322
    dstearn said:
    I no longer foil.  275 grate temp, spray with 50/50 apple cider and apple juice every after 1 1/2 hours and every hour thereafter until they past the bend or toothpick test. Glaze with sauce if desired for 20 minutes and then pull. Total cook time is around 5 1/2 hours. Meat is tender, not fall off but that is what I prefer. I also believe the quality of the meat makes a difference. I prefer Compac Duroc but I am fortunate to have a local butcher that carries them.
    THIS
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    No foil, and consider brushing a thin coat of a light oil on about 60 - 45 min before end. Seems to me it seals in a tiny bit of moisture, but leaves the bark intact.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have never really seen the need to go a full hour after the foil stage. I think this is especially true if you are saucing. You just need a little time to set the sauce. I would usually go something like:
    3 hours in the smoker uncovered
    1 to 1.5 hours in foil. 
    15-20 minutes back on the egg to set the sauce. 

If after the foil stage they seem too done, let them rest a while and cool off (uncovered, unwrapped) before you put them back on the egg to sauce. 

I agree that foil is not really necessary. I keep the "crutch" as an option in case I am short on time, but often I just go straight through until finished. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bamaegger
    bamaegger Posts: 6
    Yeah only spent 30 minutes on the last hour they were great thsnks