Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Looflighter or Gas

kdinkkdink Posts: 224
Looking for quicker start on the XL.  Deciding between Loffkighter or hand torch.
Never been huge fan of corded products.
Bergen County, NJ

Comments

• GulfcoastguyGulfcoastguy Posts: 1,656
    Looftlighter has a cord but that is what I use.
  • I love my MAPP torch. 60 seconds and it's lit. 

Depending on the lump sometimes its like lighting a flaming bowl of pop rocks but "chicks dig scars" and all that. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 5,658
    I endorse the looftlighter
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 9,317
    I use a weed torch and have something similar to this: http://amzn.to/2rJ8Fg1

I've seen many people use these too: http://amzn.to/2rJpN5n

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Tony_TTony_T Posts: 286
    edited May 2017
    If your Egg is close to an electrical outlet, then Looftlighter.
  • DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 11,923
    I like the torch. I've read about Looflighter failures on here. Never heard of a torch failing in my life. Also, I needed to sweat some copper pipe the other day. The loof ain't doing that. 
  • bob.budbob.bud Posts: 294
    I use to use paper towels soaking in a jar of used cooking oil, but after being gifted a Looflighter... with power close by, it is all I use.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 18,738
    Salado TX Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• GulfcoastguyGulfcoastguy Posts: 1,656
    You go to all that trouble to get away from cooking with gas and then you use.......gas?
  • chuckytheeggheadchuckytheegghead Posts: 1,179
    Weed burner 
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 1,367
    I use Mapp. One advantage over the looflighter is you can bury the nozzle into the pile of lump which cuts way down on sparks. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • TN_Sister_StateTN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Looflighter here. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• CoulCoul Posts: 111
    just used MAPP for the first time the other day, love it. 
    LBGE circa 2016
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 11,117
    I love my MAPP torch. 60 seconds and it's lit. 

Depending on the lump sometimes its like lighting a flaming bowl of pop rocks but "chicks dig scars" and all that. 
    +1. I used to swear by my weedburner, but it didn't work so well with the mini. I find that sticking the nozzle of the Map-Pro torch into the pile of lump makes it pop less . 

Love the portability of the Map-Pro torch too e.g taking to eggfests, other cooking venues, and to light other cookers around the yard. Was a PITA lugging the propane tank and weed burner around. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 7,462
    I use a weed burner.  While I'm egging on my driveway and not too oiled up, I multitask and actually burn weeds in the cracks.
    Flint, Michigan
    edited May 2017
    I use a Mapp for the Mini after almost burning off the handle with the weed burner. But the weedburner for Large and MM works fine. 
    @Killit_and_Grillit would the pop rocks be like this (this was some bad comp lump). Turns out the company was sold the wrong lump and the mailed me three bags and ask me to toss out the three bags I had. 

Salado TX Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

I use a weed burner.  While I'm egging on my driveway and not too oiled up, I multitask and actually burn weeds in the cracks

Fred it sounds more like you are playing =)

• blastingblasting Posts: 5,494
    Weedburner mostly f or me.  Who named the loofalighter anyway?  Second only to convegganator.
    Phoenix 
  • jtcBoyntonjtcBoynton Posts: 2,103
    Both work fine - comes down to personal preference.  Since you don't like corded products, the decision should be easy.  Within the gas choice their are various options.  I like the garden torch - moves the hand away from the sparks and is still light and stores well.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.