Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looflighter or Gas

Options
kdink
kdink Posts: 336
Looking for quicker start on the XL.  Deciding between Loffkighter or hand torch.
Never been huge fan of corded products.
2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,299
    Options
    Looftlighter has a cord but that is what I use.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I love my MAPP torch. 60 seconds and it's lit. 

Depending on the lump sometimes its like lighting a flaming bowl of pop rocks but "chicks dig scars" and all that. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I endorse the looftlighter
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I use a weed torch and have something similar to this: http://amzn.to/2rJ8Fg1

I've seen many people use these too: http://amzn.to/2rJpN5n

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Tony_T
    Tony_T Posts: 303
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If your Egg is close to an electrical outlet, then Looftlighter.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,181
    Options
    I like the torch. I've read about Looflighter failures on here. Never heard of a torch failing in my life. Also, I needed to sweat some copper pipe the other day. The loof ain't doing that. 
  • bob.bud
    bob.bud Posts: 297
    Options
    I use to use paper towels soaking in a jar of used cooking oil, but after being gifted a Looflighter... with power close by, it is all I use.
    Bloomfield Hills, MI | LGBE : AR R & B Oval Combo w/Extender and Sliding D Grid : Kick Ash Basket : Smokeware Cap : Smobot Beta
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,299
    Options
    You go to all that trouble to get away from cooking with gas and then you use.......gas?
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Options
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I use Mapp. One advantage over the looflighter is you can bury the nozzle into the pile of lump which cuts way down on sparks. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Looflighter here. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Coul
    Coul Posts: 111
    Options
    just used MAPP for the first time the other day, love it. 
    LBGE circa 2016
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I love my MAPP torch. 60 seconds and it's lit. 

Depending on the lump sometimes its like lighting a flaming bowl of pop rocks but "chicks dig scars" and all that. 
    +1. I used to swear by my weedburner, but it didn't work so well with the mini. I find that sticking the nozzle of the Map-Pro torch into the pile of lump makes it pop less . 

Love the portability of the Map-Pro torch too e.g taking to eggfests, other cooking venues, and to light other cookers around the yard. Was a PITA lugging the propane tank and weed burner around. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    I use a weed burner.  While I'm egging on my driveway and not too oiled up, I multitask and actually burn weeds in the cracks.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I use a Mapp for the Mini after almost burning off the handle with the weed burner. But the weedburner for Large and MM works fine. 
    @Killit_and_Grillit would the pop rocks be like this (this was some bad comp lump). Turns out the company was sold the wrong lump and the mailed me three bags and ask me to toss out the three bags I had. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options

I use a weed burner.  While I'm egging on my driveway and not too oiled up, I multitask and actually burn weeds in the cracks

Fred it sounds more like you are playing =)

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Weedburner mostly f or me.  Who named the loofalighter anyway?  Second only to convegganator.
    Phoenix 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Both work fine - comes down to personal preference.  Since you don't like corded products, the decision should be easy.  Within the gas choice their are various options.  I like the garden torch - moves the hand away from the sparks and is still light and stores well.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.