Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Plate Ribs Cook Time

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
I will be cooking a 4.1 LB plate of Beef Short Ribs tomorrow. Grate temp will be 285. Does anyone know the app cook time per LB?

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Don't think of it as "per pound" per se. The real variable is the thickness of the ribs. 

Half a rack of pork ribs weighs half as much as a full rack but takes just as long to cook. 

Good thick beef ribs will take a little longer than pork ribs. At 285, I'd guess about 5 +/- 1 hour. 

Toothpick test to determine doneness. 

@lousubcap, is expert on beef ribs and may have something to add. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    No expert here although I have cooked some.  @Foghorn is in the ball-park, and they could run even longer.  Just be patient and go with the toothpick test as mentioned for the win.  Never have taken a rib cook finish temperature but it would likely be around the low 200's once they pass the tooth-pick test. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    I think usually 6 hour ballpark for me in the 260-275 range, for ones I get at Sam's club, on the meaty side, but not restaurant meaty.  I've found they are fine going longer as well, they don't fall apart like an overcooked brisket.
  • dstearn
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have cooked them before, but since I am also cooking 2 slabs of spare ribs I wanted to make sure that placed the Beef Ribs on the grill in advance so that everything will be ready  in time for dinner.
    Based on that I will start the beef ribs about two hrs ahead of the spares to allow for cook/rest time. I figure the spares will take about 51/2 hrs at that temp. No wrap.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    @lousubcap, it looks like ill be attempting beef plate short ribs in the next few weeks sometime.   The plate comes with four ribs per, and ill be making these for a guys night in    

Question: is it better to leave all the ribs attached like you would for baby backs amd spares or do you cut them up for crust formation?

Iver seen franklin bbq do them where he left them intact but am wondering of there is any benefit to leaving ribs attached?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    @westernbbq I have always cooked them intact so I don't have any comparison.  Sorry 'bout that.
    BTW- make sure to remove the membrane before seasoning them for the cook.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Not to be contrary, but individual beef plate ribs I've done have been done slightly faster that pork spare slabs. I suppose that I think they are acceptable quicker, IT around 190, because the meat on the whole is more tender than pork rib. I haven't made notes, but 5 .5 hours is at the top end of what I've done. I do suppose a whole 4 bone portion would go a little slower.
  • westernbbq
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @westernbbq I have always cooked them intact so I don't have any comparison.  Sorry 'bout that.
    Dont be sorry i just appreciate your shared experience.   Im looking at next friday so ill try and post picts    ...although ill be a few beers deep at oh dark thirty so we will see if incan see straight.   EWI egging while intoxicated is one of my favorite activities
  • dstearn
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    When I cooked the Beef Ribs I used the Franklin recipe, hot sauce as a binder and S&P. I did not remove the membrane, it took 6 1/2 hours at 285 grate for a 4 lb plate rib. Another hour to rest. I think removing the membrane for beef ribs is more of a personal preference. I always remove the membrane for pork ribs.
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1209765/youd-think-idve-learnt-by-now#latest

Here's my input...  Aaron Franklin style for the win!
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • westernbbq
    Options
    Made them tonight and they were sensational....8.5 hr on 235 F.  I know picts or didnt happen. Trust me it happened.   Amd everyome who ate rhem went ape sh!t over em
    Awesome stuff
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    These are my favorite bbq item period!! Usually takes 5 1/2 to 7 hours. I find wrapping helps , when I don’t the top layer of meat gets “hard”. Couple
    different cooks

• westernbbq
    Options
    Whoa those look good . Plus the leinis for the win...you in wiscy?

This might be the best thing ive ever made...,