Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to cook for first time sous vide?

Options
Gym
Gym Posts: 366
Thanks to everyone who helped me select a sous vide. It should arrive tomorrow and I'd like to cook something with it this weekend. 
I need your help/suggestions... What would you guys recommend for a first timer?

Comments

• NEKEgger
    NEKEgger Posts: 22
    Options
    Steak.

I've tried my sous vide machine with many other things, but to be quite honest I have decided that it really is just a steak machine.  Yes, you can cook other things with it, but it is seldom worth doing so.  I love my sous vide machine, but I'm just being realistic.
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Steak for sure finished at screaming heat on the egg. But bone-in, skin on chicken breast finished on the stove is fantastic. (See Seriou Eats.) 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    It will take some patience, but 72 hour short ribs are other worldly good. 48 hours can also be good, but not quite the same unbelievable texture. Give them a bit of Montreal seasoning, not much 'cause the flavors concentrate in the SV bag. Save the juices for sauce.

Then Egg sear. The meat kind of "pops!" when you bite it.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Pork chops are great with SV.  140-144 for 90 minutes then sear.  Juiciest poke chop ever.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    A great introduction to sous vide is beef tenderloin.  Dry brine it, bag it, cook it at 131 for an hour or two, sear and eat.
    Toronto ON
  • Gym
    Options
    I didn't know the juices concentrate on the sv.  Good to know!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    NEKEgger said:
    Steak.

I've tried my sous vide machine with many other things, but to be quite honest I have decided that it really is just a steak machine.  Yes, you can cook other things with it, but it is seldom worth doing so.  I love my sous vide machine, but I'm just being realistic.
    If the only thing you're doing SV is steak, you are missing out on an entire universe of awesomeness.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I'm with Brent. Monster chops. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Gym
    Options
    I love the beef tenderloins idea and will definately try it, but it's so expensive. Maybe I should get a little practice first!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Gym said:
    I love the beef tenderloins idea and will definately try it, but it's so expensive. Maybe I should get a little practice first!
    Do chicken breasts.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Lots to do.  Chicken breasts, chops, steaks, carrots etc  

Plenty of fancier fair to experiment with, but the items above are no brainers.

There is also no better way, imo, to reheat brisket or pulled pork.

Phoenix 
  • Gym
    Options
    Ya? How long/temp sv? Time on Grill?
    Chops and steak sound great too. I just wanna start with a no-brainer.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Gym said:
    Ya? How long/temp sv? Time on Grill?
    Chops and steak sound great too. I just wanna start with a no-brainer.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-chicken-breast

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Gym said:
    Not much practice needed, you can miss finish times by a long shot and not screw things up. Its another added beauty of sous vide. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Eye of the round roast and chuck roast
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Gym
    Options
    poster said:
    Gym said:
    Not much practice needed, you can miss finish times by a long shot and not screw things up. Its another added beauty of sous vide. 
    I suppose it's more about learning the temp and approximately how long to leave it in, bearing in mind that it can remain in the water longer without ill effects. Also, not overgrilling and subsequently, overcooking the meat.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    The sous vide method excels with chicken breast. I would recommend that
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Another vote for chix breast first. And eggs. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    Options
    Sous vide carnitas.  Did them this past weekend and they turned out great.  185 for 8 hours.  Finish in the broiler.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/sous-vide-carnitas-crispy-mexican-style-pulled-pork-recipe.html
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Actually I'm a fan of SV carrots. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    what do you want to do? i'm sure someone can chime in.  as above, poke chop - SV turns out awesome.

steaks are great SV because it makes them idiotproof.  i like to bag them and cook at 131.  then pat dry, season, brush with a little OO, and quickly sear on the egg.  do a decent strip or ribeye this way and you'll laugh at steakhouse fare from now on.  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Gym
    Options
    I'm guessing cooking to 131 then a short trip on the egg would get you a medium rare?
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Final IT turns out about 135 for me if I take it straight from SV to my egg. A warm, "cooked" pink center. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I can't believe no one has said John's chocolate pots. I can cook a steak or chops on the egg but you can't make "panty dropper" chocolate pots on it. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I can't believe no one has said John's chocolate pots. I can cook a steak or chops on the egg but you can't make "panty dropper" chocolate pots on it. 
    I would've mentioned these, but I'm starting to be concerned about the US chocolate supply.
  • Gym
    Options
    I'm diabetic. Should I even ask? Then again, my wife isn't.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I did potato soup. Omg. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Gym
    Options
    Wow. The possibilities are endless..
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    Eggs, perfectly hard boiled eggs.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin