Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long and where can I keep a finished pork shoulder.

Options
Dannyo14
Dannyo14 Posts: 19
Good evening everyone 
I am doing a pork shoulder for a group Wednesday night. Due to time I will be doing the cook overnight Tuesday. My question for the group is how long and where can I store the shoulder before I serve?  I will likely pull it off around 9 and we've dinner at 6:30. Can I just put it in a cooler with foil or do I have to pull it and put it in a slow cooker?  

Thanks 

Comments

• Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    Looks like you're in Michigan. You can store it at my house. I will keep it safe for you. 

Just an extra uneducated guess, 9 hours would not pass the food safety. Suggest pulling it and refrigerate. I use a crockpot with some additional rub and chicken stock to reheat. Keep covered and stir every 30 minutes. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Not knowing the shoulder weight and the temp your cooking at, I would recommend maybe adjusting the cook temp to slow down the cook.
    I know on a 8# butt for me at 220-225 I can stretch out the cook to 15 hours or so.
    This might get you into the foil/towel/cooler range. Assuming you are going to be home Wednesday during the day.

Welcome to the forum.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Turbo butt if your schedule permits.  Start cook Wednesday morning.  I would start at 7.  Cook 350-375 ish indirect.  FTC until you're ready to pull and serve.  Pull and serve.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    I'm in Flint.  Welcome and Go Blue!
    Flint, Michigan
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Pulling at 9AM serving at 6pm,?...if so,wrap tight in foil, set oven to lowest setting ( mine is 170) bump it towards the end. Don't " pull" till ready to serve.. I had a chuck roll finish way early this weekend, held it 11 hours no issues 
     Health wise I don't see an issue unless you drop below 140 for some time..just my 2 cents
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Dannyo14
    Dannyo14 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks everyone very helpful.