Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chernobyl

Options
B747crew
B747crew Posts: 158
edited May 2017 in Off Topic
I HAVE GOT TO GET THE TEMP CONTROL FIGURED OUT ON MY XL BEFORE I TOTALLY SCREW THIS UP!!

Put on some ribs yesterday  temp climbs to 350 for turbo at 350-375. Daisy wheel petals set 1/2.  Bottom 1 inch.  KAB loaded to the top. No air leaks at the seal ( dollar bill test good ) Went inside for an iced tea came out and temp is climbing through 800 . No Damage to egg or seal. Cooled the egg down.  Reset the bottom at the thickness of a credit card ....temp down to 340.... opened bottom to 1/8 inch temp 390-400 . Couldn't get a stable temp. What the heck is going on? I wouldn't even consider a low and slow cook cause it would burn up or burn out.. Any advice on what i am or am not doing correctly on the XL?  Anyone with an XL please chime in here. If anyone will walk me through this I'll gladly PM my phone number.  Thanks Guys 

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Big temp control with bottom vent.  350 on my XL is probably 1/4" or so with open top.  If I'm trying to hit 350, I'll start it with bottom vent open a couple of inches, then drop to an inch around 225-250 and at 300 close to 1/4 ish.  You're managing momentum, slowing down is tough, so pump the brakes early
  • B747crew
    B747crew Posts: 158
    Options
    Legume said:
    Big temp control with bottom vent.  350 on my XL is probably 1/4" or so with open top.  If I'm trying to hit 350, I'll start it with bottom vent open a couple of inches, then drop to an inch around 225-250 and at 300 close to 1/4 ish.  You're managing momentum, slowing down is tough, so pump the brakes early
    Open Top as in full open no daisy wheel??

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Really Surprised it got that hot that fast mine has never acted like that
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I've only had a few cooks on my XL but don't find it much different from my L. I don't count on my temp being set until it has been steady for at least 15 minutes. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Mine gets to 350 with the daisy fully open (i.e. petals open, not top) and maybe 1" bottom vent. Air is getting in somewhere. 800 for mine is bottom fully open and no daisy at all (open top).
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    350 on my Large is 3/4" on top and 3/4" on bottom.  250 is about 1/4" open on bottom and 1/8" or less on top...

granted a Large is different than an XL but a little bit of air goes a long way.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    At the risk of stating the obvious-the BGE is an air-flow driven machine once you have the initial fire established.  With no air-leaks, the volume of air thru the cooker controls the temp.  Dome thermo calibrated?  Also the position of the dome thermo relative to any heat deflector can give you varied readings until all is in equilibrium.  Directly over the lump will cause it to shoot up much faster than if shielded by the heat deflector.   

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Further to what Lou says above, light from the top in one spot, near the centre front, open the daisy to 1/2, the bottom vent to about 1/2"-3/4", drop in your set-up, give it an hour or so and see where it settles in. They all work different, with a KAB your's might be hotter or colder than one with a High-Que grate or the OEM grate. Patience, grasshopper, is a virtue. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Spend a day burning some lump, not food. Fire it up, get a feel for vents. Always adjust one vent at a time, give it 45 minutes or so to see where its going. Best advise I ever got from this forum was to spend a day with my 1st egg and experiment.