Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Knife Sharpener?

Options
slovelad
slovelad Posts: 1,742
any recommendations for a knife sharpener?

i have some that won't cut butter lol

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    A good ceramic hone and strop w. some buffing compound will do for many knives, assuming the edge isn't beat up.

If the knives are really messed, are there any commercial sharpeners near where you live? Might be less expensive to use one for a few knives, vs. investing in a piece of hardware and learning to use it. Around me, the cost averages about $1/inch.

My base system is an Apex Edge Pro and a couple of Diasharp diamond plates. They don't get used often, as I do have a hone and strop on hand. Tomorrow, they will be getting some use as I work on my daughter's knives that haven't had any attention for about 9 years, and are badly chipped and pitted.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    For an easy option , the Ken Onion Worksharp thing is the bomb.   @The Cen-Tex Smoker did a detailed review (the kind that makes you spend forum $$) some time back. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,096
    Options
    caliking said:
    For an easy option , the Ken Onion Worksharp thing is the bomb.   @The Cen-Tex Smoker did a detailed review (the kind that makes you spend forum $$) some time back. 
    Thank goodness he has gotten so busy and stopped reviewing hardware.  He has cost me a lot of $$$.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Still love the Ken onion worksharp. $129 and works like a boss.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    slovelad said:
    any recommendations for a knife sharpener?

i have some that won't cut butter lol
    How much time, effort, and money do you want to put into that?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Since I started making knives I've changed my opinion. Just throw them out and buy new knives. Maybe once a month or so should be good. I know a guy...
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    For me, Japanese waterstones can't be beat but there is work and a learning curve you need to be ready to accept. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    gmac said:
    For me, Japanese waterstones can't be beat but there is work and a learning curve you need to be ready to accept. 
    This. I was looking at the Worksharp, Edgepro, etc and decided on stones because I prefer the technique and manual labor which has a meditative effect due to the process involved and attention to detail needed. I might get a worksharp for my "cheap" knives when doing volume sharpening.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Still love the Ken onion worksharp. $129 and works like a boss.

Boss' work?
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I suppose there's another factor that you should consider.  Are the knives any good to begin with?  Most of the knives I had for years were crummy or mediocre. I had a couple of pull thru manual sharpeners for those. Similar ones can be had at Harbor Freight for around $4.

Once I started buying better knives, I practiced on the old ones. I found that I could put really good edges on them, but they didn't last. I had 1 slicer that dulled before I could cut up a pork loin into chop thickness portions. Those knives are now back to steeling and manual draw thru.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options

Used stones for years (have 6 on my bench), but after a lot of sharpening, you need to start over and get the edge back to a nice contour.  Easiest is a belt sander, then buff to "razor sharp, and then strop on leather strap to remove wire edge. A belt sander takes all the work out of it.  The Ken Onion is a nice portable unit, or you can buy one of the small table models that do a great job too.