Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I buy a sous vide?

2»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,210
    I read an article recently that suggests using ping pong balls as a cheap and effective way to cover water surface and stop evaporation. 
    bubble wrap works really well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,801
    You don't need a lid. I use those air filled pouches that Amazon uses in their boxes and it works very well. Some folks have used bubble wrap too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,974
    I read an article recently that suggests using ping pong balls as a cheap and effective way to cover water surface and stop evaporation. 
    Still a lot of space between the floating balls so they don't stop nearly the amount of evaporation that a sheet of bubble wrap does! Just cut the sheet to fit. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 17,073
    Do a thick cut pork chop just once, and you will never doubt your decision to purchase one.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,725
    That's just more crap to store and keep up with it. 
  • DoubleEgger
    I bought the LIPAVI container and lid with the Anova cutout from Amazon and have been pleased thus far. 

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    I bought the LIPAVI container and lid with the Anova cutout from Amazon and have been pleased thus far. 

@DoubleEgger how many quarts?
  • DoubleEgger
    slovelad said:

@DoubleEgger how many quarts?
    They have a 3gal and a 6.5gal. Mine is the three gallon. It's a good size for regular use. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    That's just more crap to store and keep up with it. 

Not if you have a ping pong table. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@slovelad

I took a mid size stock pot and made a lid out of some scrap.  I've been very pleased with it, and the heat retention.  Best part is not having to use the clamp on the unit.  The second pic is the underside to show the lip.  If I need more space, I'll cut a hole in a cooler.  I don't want it any bigger than needed, so the heat up time is minimal.  

I haven't seen you around in a while - welcome back.

Phoenix 
  • slovelad
    @blasting thanks! I just went ahead and got a container that was recommended on amazon. 

• Gym
    Gym Posts: 366
    Is that a corian lid you made?
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Gym said:
    Is that a corian lid you made?

Yes.  Works perfect.  I find myself making a lot out of corian.  It's a good surface and it's cheap.  I get it off Craigslist when people take out a kitchen.  Makes great outdoor counters too.

Phoenix 
  • Gym
    That would work perfect. I'll have to look for some
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    I drunkenly ordered the Anova too. Now I also need to figure out what to cook and get more beer. Thankfully I don't drink hard liquor or I would probably have ordered an XL egg too. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,373
    Yes.  Does anyone have two or more, so that they can SV at a couple different temps? I've been thinking of getting a second.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,974
    thetrim said:
    Yes.  Does anyone have two or more, so that they can SV at a couple different temps? I've been thinking of getting a second.   
    Nola does, but Nola is AWOL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    thetrim said:
    I have an Anova a first build induction eye with Bluetooth feedback that works as SV and a homemade bucket heater with a controller. So, yeah. 
  • Gym
    2 sv's... I can't even figure out what I'm going to do with one. I just poured a whiskey. See if that helps
  • YukonRon
    I have 2. I do use it for two internals, mostly for steaks. Someone in my home wants MW or better, The rest of us like MR.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • slovelad
    YukonRon said:
    I have 2. I do use it for two internals, mostly for steaks. Someone in my home wants MW or better, The rest of us like MR.
    You should just microwave it for MW... and then run it over with the truck 
  • slovelad
    YukonRon said:
    You should just microwave it for MW... and then run it over with the truck 
  • YukonRon
    @sloveland

Concur.

Good to see you back. "Free Nola" stickers still looking good.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    thetrim said:
    I don't but if you just want to cook one steak medium rare and the other well done, put the well done in first at whatever W-D temp is and cook it for an hour or so. Then, lower the water temp to 130°, leave the W-D steak in there and add the M-R steak for an hour. When done, both will be as requested.

Or, you could do what my brother did for Mom a while back. He cooked a whole beef tenderloin to med-rare. Beautifully cooked and delicious. Mom won't eat "bloody" meat so he sliced a piece off the end... and put it in the microwave as mentioned above. =) She was delighted. Anyone who actually LIKES well done steaks CANNOT be offended by a microwave.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• slovelad
    @YukonRon nice! We need one now to bring him back ! Lol