Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burning my frigging pizza

Options
124»

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    henapple said:
    I'll get kick back... Pour a cup of water on the stone. I haven't cracked one and they come out perfect. 
    Pics or nope ;)  Not that pic ok?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    erikjs71 said:
    TheToast said:
    The issue I find is that for up to 3 pizzas the platesetter-grill-stone on top works fine. Beyond that amount of time, the stone gets too hot and starts to burn the base. I've just ordered some fire bricks and am going to try it with the stone raised higher, because I'm cooking for a party next weekend. 
    Well this was pizza #1 (of 1)..When the Egg temp gauge read 650º, I kept it right between there and 700º for about 30 minutes, then put the pie on.
    After 30 minutes your stone and dome ceramics are still heating up and have not reached equilibrium.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I think your temp is way to high.
    I just completed my 3rd attempt with pizza and I think I have got it right now. First, I bought some pizza dough balls from my local pizzeria. Let them set out for 30 minutes prior to rolling. My XL is set up with an adjustable rig, a 17.5 inch stone on the bottom rack and my 14 inch pizza stone on the top rack. I cook at a lower temp 400-450 raised direct so that I can fully cook the ingredients and get a thin crisp crust. I let the pizza stone sit for an hour before placing the pie on it. I prepare the pizza on a wood peel with a small amount of corn meal on the pie. Cook time is 12-15 minutes at 400.
    The last cook was by far my best. My local pizzeria cooks at 500 for 8 minutes as a point of reference.
  • erikjs71
    erikjs71 Posts: 69
    Options
    dstearn said:
    I think your temp is way to high.
    I just completed my 3rd attempt with pizza and I think I have got it right now. First, I bought some pizza dough balls from my local pizzeria. Let them set out for 30 minutes prior to rolling. My XL is set up with an adjustable rig, a 17.5 inch stone on the bottom rack and my 14 inch pizza stone on the top rack. I cook at a lower temp 400-450 raised direct so that I can fully cook the ingredients and get a thin crisp crust. I let the pizza stone sit for an hour before placing the pie on it. I prepare the pizza on a wood peel with a small amount of corn meal on the pie. Cook time is 12-15 minutes at 400.
    The last cook was by far my best. My local pizzeria cooks at 500 for 8 minutes as a point of reference.
    Not sure if you read through the thread.. (I wouldn't have).. but my trick was I put the plate setter legs down... came out perfect.. see pics in few comments back.

I've been using and making pizza dough for 10+ years.. 

You should have your dough sit out a MINIMUM of an hour..  Just in the bag on the counter.. or bowl if you made it yourself.

Then on a heavily floured surface, take out the ball and re-form it if needed.. and let it sit under a clean dry towel for about 20-30 minutes, then start forming it.. Never use a roller.. if it's not spreading right, it's still to cold.. let it sit another 20 mins.

Like I said.. just a tip.
  • erikjs71
    Options
    Should I start a new pizza stone thread??  We've gotten kinda off the topic of burn prevention, and onto tips and techniques..
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    erikjs71 said:
    Should I start a new pizza stone thread??  We've gotten kinda off the topic of burn prevention, and onto tips and techniques..
    No, I think you need to cook at a lower temp around 400 for 12-15 minutes and you will not burn your pies.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    erikjs71 said:
    If you want suggestions on specific topics you probably should start another disussion thread.  The most on-topic responses generally come in the first page or so.  These longer discussions often will start to wander.  Many will not realize that a pizza burning discussion has morphed to discussing other topics and may not contribute to the new topic just because they don't realize we are not longer talking burning crust.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• erikjs71
    Options
    dstearn said:
    erikjs71 said:
    No, I think you need to cook at a lower temp around 400 for 12-15 minutes and you will not burn your pies.
    No, I cook them at 650-700 for 6-7 minutes and they come out perfect.. you can cook at 400 if you want.
  • bigegger
    bigegger Posts: 87
    Options

pizza saturday
    LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I go about 700 but you have to cool the stone 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bigegger
    bigegger Posts: 87
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Sorry, I thought this posted with my picture above..
    I heated my pizza stone I've had for 10years while heating up my egg to 500-525º.
    What I did  was throw in the pizza, put the top of my chimney back on and slid it open, bottom vent full open then close the cover. Thermometer usually reads 400-450º by the time I close it and left the pizza in for 10-12 minutes.
    I made sure I peak at the bottom of the pizza to make sure it is tan brown which gives me a thin crispy outer layer and soft inside.
    Pizza totally devoured by me wife and teenage son.
    Now the egg is at 300º and I'm throwing in a brownie mix to bake.
    This is usually my routine after a pizza, after a pizza bake something else usually a dessert is baked in the egg after we eat a pizza.
    LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • erikjs71
    edited July 2017
    Options
    bigegger said:

pizza saturday
    I love pizza Saturday's.. man that's funny.. My egg is the same size and in the same spot on my deck.. I thought the pic was mine for a sec.. LOL