Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spicy BBQ

Options
reload
reload Posts: 267
I have always been a fan of spicy food.  However, I have yet to try kicking up the temp on a boston butt.  Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.  I plan on trying this on Wednesday. I just hate the thought of messing up a long cook.

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Dizzy Pig's Jamaican Firewalk is a great rub to put on a butt.  I got more compliments on that than any other pork I've ever cooked.  Has just a little heat and a little different flavor so it's a safe move - and I suspect it would work with any rub that is similar.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    For one of the famous BBQ joints here in KC, their "Spicy" sauce is no more than their regular sauce with a lot more fine ground black pepper....
    It's amazing the front-end heat that'll produce, without the rip your tongue out what the hell did I just eat habenero/ghost pepper heat.  A good little 'secret' to keep under your lid whenever you want to add heat but not danger.
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Spice tends to mellow out during long cooks like this, so it helps to add it at the end or use a spicy sauce/mop.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    ~3 cups Mayo
    ~2 tablespoons of Maple syrup
    1 can of Adobe peppers
    ~1 1/2 cup of apple juice
    ~1/4 cup favorite BBQ rub
    ~2 tablespoons of brown sugar

Let the blender run for a bit

Cook your shoulder as you normally would and pull once completed.

Top the pulled pork with the above sauce.

While not ghost pepper hot, it will make your nose run

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Oakridge Habanero Death Dust rub will juice it up for you.  You can mix with your initial rub or add it when you pull to pace the heat.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I agree with @Eggcelsior  If you want heat then use a "hot" bbq sauce.  A lot of people might not know/realize that the longer you let ABT go the mellower they get.  If you pull them after say 30-45 min they will typically be at their spiciest, but if you let them go a hour to two they are not hot at all.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    As said above, a lot of heat and some flavor will be lost during a long cook. Really hot peppers like habanero/scotch bonnet will retain most of their heat. The seeds from many peppers retain heat better. Cinnamon does OK. Paprika, and sometimes even jalapenos or serranos will fade. Black pepper, even the best is pretty much gone.

So I do a late rub addition that focuses on black pepper, fresh ground mustard seeds, garlic mash, allspice, and various herbs if I want. Add about 15 minutes before removing from the Egg.

Also, as butts are often used for PP sandwiches, and topped w. slaw, adding some slivers of radish and some arugala can kick the flavor up.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    make a spicy vinegar style sauce and add it to the pull, serve the regular style bbq sauce on the side or buy a habanero version. some add rub directly to the pull but i like to add it into a vinegar sauce
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Stubbs spicy has nice heat and no HFCS, if you're not looking to make yourself.
    NOLA
  • HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    For one of the famous BBQ joints here in KC, their "Spicy" sauce is no more than their regular sauce with a lot more fine ground black pepper....
    It's amazing the front-end heat that'll produce, without the rip your tongue out what the hell did I just eat habenero/ghost pepper heat.  A good little 'secret' to keep under your lid whenever you want to add heat but not danger.
    Which one is this? Just curious
  • Rebelst8
    Rebelst8 Posts: 36
    Options
    If you are in Florida, get some Everglades Seasoning Cactus Dust...put a heavy coat on it. The heat will sink in. BTW, this is about the ONLY seasoning I use. It goes on everything except Steak.
    Victor
    LBGE
    America's Best Coast - The Space Coast
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Rebelst8 said:
    If you are in Florida, get some Everglades Seasoning Cactus Dust...put a heavy coat on it. The heat will sink in. BTW, this is about the ONLY seasoning I use. It goes on everything except Steak.
    Is that different than Everglades Heat?  Hotter?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Suckle busters gun powder. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I use Sriracha instead of mustard as a binder for Jamaican Firewalk rub.  Nice heat 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.