Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buffalo Wings on the egg?

Options
I love buffalo wings and wondering if anyone if you guys cook them direct or inderect?
Any tips would be appreciated. 
Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    400 Direct cooked at the gasket level.  I like them crispy to extra crispy.  
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    I recently switched to indirect. 425ish indirect, high in the dome. They get crispy and I don't have to worry about chicken fat smoke that can sometimes be an issue with direct. One of my favorite cooks 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Either way will get you there.  I have evolved to raised direct around 350-375*F or so high (around 4" above the gasket line) in the dome.
    Couple of keys to crispy results- let 'em air dry overnight (if possible) in the fridge and/or dust with a light coating of corn starch before tossing on the BGE. 
    Probably more wing recipes here than anything else-give the forum search function go and have at the results.  Great groceries await.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Impatiently waiting on this to turn into a Hooters picture thread...

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• jones2289
    jones2289 Posts: 56
    Options
    I really like to do them raised direct on the CGS Adjustable rig, around 400 for about 45 minutes.  I air dry in the fridge when I have time, and dust with cornstarch and the rub of your choice (we like Honey Hog Hot).  

Flip them about halfway through the cook, and when they're almost done, I pull, toss them in a bowl of sauce, throw them back on for a couple minutes, and toss in the remaining sauce to serve.

We like Sweet Baby Ray's buffalo sauce.  Mild enough for a crowd, but a still has a little kick.
    Indianapolis, IN
  • jones2289
    jones2289 Posts: 56
    Options
    Also, throw a chunk or two of fruit wood in the fire for good measure (apple, cherry, etc.)
    Indianapolis, IN
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
     I am with @ColtsFan. I like to keep the wing fat out of the fire and I can crank the heat up to get them nice and crispy with out worrying about burning.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Little Rock, AR

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options

Nope...
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax