Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheap azz knives

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,627
if you're a knife guy, look away, this thread isn't for you.

white handled dexters are the closest I get to name brand knives, except for a really nice carving knife that was a gift a long time ago.

A few years ago I bought a couple of knives at IKEA that I have loved, but they stopped carrying them.  I just went back the other day and they have them again.  They're cheap, decent steel, take an edge really well and are very comfortable.  I have a big chef knife, couple of paring knives and couple of 5 or 6" chef style utility knife.  I just picked up a cleaver and filet knife the other day.  The filet knife is almost as stiff as a boning knife.  The cleaver was maybe $16, they're all really cheap.  The name of the line is Vorda.  Highly recommend if you're not a knife guy or if you need decent knives for camp or RV or buttblast.  Cleaver is heavy.

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Legume said:
    if you're a knife guy, look away, this thread isn't for you.

white handled dexters are the closest I get to name brand knives, except for a really nice carving knife that was a gift a long time ago.

A few years ago I bought a couple of knives at IKEA that I have loved, but they stopped carrying them.  I just went back the other day and they have them again.  They're cheap, decent steel, take an edge really well and are very comfortable.  I have a big chef knife, couple of paring knives and couple of 5 or 6" chef style utility knife.  I just picked up a cleaver and filet knife the other day.  The filet knife is almost as stiff as a boning knife.  The cleaver was maybe $16, they're all really cheap.  The name of the line is Vorda.  Highly recommend if you're not a knife guy or if you need decent knives for camp or RV or buttblast.  Cleaver is heavy.

Knives are aloud at Butt Blast? I am with you..I only have one knife that i have paid significant money for....and that was a bread knife in Paris. Thanks for sharing. I am need of some myself.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Great idea for fests, even for knife snobs. No one wants to lose a $200 knife at a fest, yet everyone needs a sharp knife there.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Never thought of IKEA, thanks for the heads up. I usually take Johnson-Rose Chinese SS to any place I might lose them. My local supply store has closed, so now I have to get in and out of IKEA without SWMBO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Neat.

I'm a knife guy but not a knife snob. Always appreciate a decent cheap knife.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I need a cleaver for the lake. Thanks 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Plenty of white handles in my knife drawer as well.  Thanks for the tip.  While at Ikea, check out their sensuell (?) line of cookware.  I've had it for a good year and remain impresssed.

Phoenix 
  • Legume
    Options
    For steel nerds, here's a pic from the cleaver, the knives are labeled differently, they all just say molybdenum/vanadium.

I've never had to sharpen, only hit them
    with a steel from time to time.

• Legume
    Options
    Also, they also have some knives that look more like global knock-offs, but I've never tried one.  They're a bit more.
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    Legume said:
    For steel nerds, here's a pic from the cleaver, the knives are labeled differently, they all just say molybdenum/vanadium.

I've never had to sharpen, only hit them
    with a steel from time to time.

I am pretty sure that is the same steel wustoff uses. Heat treat and grinds are more important than steel....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    The handles remind me of something.  Can't put my finger on it, but I am sure it will come to me.

Btw, aside from the aesthetics of a nice knife, I agree on low price knives.  Low price used to mean cheap, but now-a-days it just means inexpensive.  Repeatable factory processes on digitally controlled equipment takes the expensive "art" out of knife making.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Beaters are nice to have lying around.

Those handles have a similar shape to Globals.

The biggest concern with a cleaver while chopping is a good grip.  With a true, heavy cleaver, we are talking about taking digits completely off, not just a clean laceration from a sharp chefs knife.

That taper may be troublesome while chopping, as things will get slippery.  

One shouldn't pinch grip a cleaver. Lol
    Maybe you could trigger finger it?

A DR cleaver handle for reference.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I have the filet and cleaver bought on a whim and like them a lot, not as much as my Japanese knives but for the price they were in the couldn't pass up category.
  • Legume
    Options
    @Focker the handle is actually a black, grippy rubber, I've been elbows deep into pork fat and not had them be slippery.  I used the cleaver to split some lamb chops and the heft was fantastic, no need to hack at it to get through the bone.

The other knives they have look more like globals, but I've not tried those.  This 8" chef's knife is $20

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Legume said:
    @Focker the handle is actually a black, grippy rubber, I've been elbows deep into pork fat and not had them be slippery.  I used the cleaver to split some lamb chops and the heft was fantastic, no need to hack at it to get through the bone.

The other knives they have look more like globals, but I've not tried those.  This 8" chef's knife is $20

Glad it's working out for you.  Was more concerned with the smaller handle size, shape, and the notch taken out of it, than the material.  Once you're elbow deep in chopped pork, they're all slippery.
    I would have to add a Pearce grip extension, maybe a laser too. ;)  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Always knew you were a cheap azz ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    This thread makes me sad. :(
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I remembered what the handle reminded me of ....

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • bgebrent
    Options

Thats so demeaning.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited April 2017
    Options
    bgebrent said:

Thats so demeaning.
    I don't know what demeaning means.  Is that like removing meaning?

Btw, I think it is the perfect set of knives for ButtBlast.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:

Thats so demeaning.
    No!  Its like not being meaning!  Is it really that hard?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:

Thats so demeaning.
    Well then, I agree.  I speciliaze in not meaning and single entendres.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:

Thats so demeaning.
    Well then, I agree.  I speciliaze in not meaning and single entendres.
    You should investigate metaphors.  And double entendres.  Parley vous français?
  • Legume
    Options

I'm pretty sure the fence across the street is topped with a bunch of those.  Between this and that crazy tie tack thing that @DMW posted a couple of weeks ago, I have this funny feeling you boys ain't right. You know there's camps where they can pray that outta you.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Legume said:

I'm pretty sure the fence across the street is topped with a bunch of those.  Between this and that crazy tie tack thing that @DMW posted a couple of weeks ago, I have this funny feeling you boys ain't right. You know there's camps where they can pray that outta you.
    This one time...at pray camp. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    gmac said:
    Legume said:

This one time...at pray camp. 
    I so wish there was an LOL button on posts!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    So are these Cheap-ass knives or cheap ass-knives? Based on the vector of the comments, I'm thinking the latter.
  • jonessteave
    Options

under $75

doesn't want to buy piece by piece

wants steak knives

Amazon cheaper brand name sets or overstock.com selections?

This is not for me but for my girlfriend's mother? It is hell right now cooking at her house. I have never been in such a sub-par cutting implement environment.

Any suggestions from your benelovences? Please help before I commit harikari with spork.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    @jonessteave do you and @legume hand out on the weekends? you seem to have a lot in common.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.