Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oak Smoked Black Pepper

Options
I got a little bag of Oak Smoked black pepper coarse ground in Texas. They are awesome! Anybody tried smoking peppercorns on the BGE?

Comments

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Never heard of such but it sure sounds like a good idea. 
    Snellville, GA

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for the idea.  I've got my last load of stuff to cold smoke prior to the heat.  Will try some peppercorns for sure.  Should happen tomorrow.

Phoenix 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I got a little bag of Oak Smoked black pepper coarse ground in Texas. They are awesome! Anybody tried smoking peppercorns on the BGE?
    Where did you get it?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Great idea-waiting for the follow-up as I can see this being a great side smoke.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Options
    I have never heard of smoked peppercorns before and now really, really wonder why... I guess I know what I am doing next time the cold smoker comes out  :)
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    I've been looking into this - and I'm following this thread with interest.
    From what I gather, it seems to me that whole peppercorns should be hot smoked with a strong wood - or else you're not really gonna taste it.  But I think if you partially crack the peppercorns, you can go with less strong smoking wood.  I'm really interested in y'all's thoughts on this one.  I've got a big ol' jar of Costco's Tellicherry peppercorns just waiting!!
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    Jumping in here (Side note - I just moved and now work for Southside Market & BBQ - will make a note of that in my signature)

I'm going to bet that @Masson1217 found himself a sample packet of Southside Market & BBQ Oak Smoked Black Pepper. We give them out at events and recently had them at an event in Round Rock and an event in Houston. 

The whole peppercorn is smoked for almost 24 hours at a very low temperature (between 125-150) - and stirred up every few hours but not cold smoked. It has to smoke that long to grab any smoke flavor - but can't smoke too hot because it will start to burn/release it's oil. But note that we're only burning post oak in giant pits so the smoke profile is going to be different then what the egg will crank out. 

We start with whole peppercorns and break them down to a coarse grind but don't go any further then that so we don't lose the smoke. It's a pretty delicate process on our giant pits and not something that I've attempted on the egg just yet. 

I would think cold smoking might work for it - probably a good experiment for a pellet smoker if anyone has one of those. 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker