Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NY Strip Help

Options
g8golfer
g8golfer Posts: 1,025

So my mother n law purchased a 16 pound NY Strip loin from Food City for Easter and she wants to me cook it on the egg. Now where I'm from we only have a Food City and a Walmart so I don't have ton of options for our meat selection. What I need help with is do I trim the fat before putting on the egg? I plan on reverse searing. Go about 300 degrees indirect till it gets to 120 IT and then resting for 10-20 minutes and searing at the end. The fat trimming is what I'm confused about. Help me out eggers. I don't want to mess up and listen to her complain. 

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I've only done one of these and it was half the size of this one. I did not trim any fat, but I don't recall having a cap like this one appears to have.
    Stillwater, MN
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Unless there's thick, firm fat, no need to trim.  Your temp plan is good bro.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yep. Surprisingly, @bgebrent is correct.

Only trim if the fat seems excessive and/or hard. Be aware that the fat can catch fire during the sear. Have appropriate tools and a landing zone picked out in case you have to take it off urgently. This is more common with prime rib. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX