Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking For An Old Thread

Options
A few months ago there was a thread about manufacturers making lower grade products to sell at the country's largest retailer. I did a search, but can not find it. Do any of you remember who started the thread?

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Was it in regard to riding lawn mowers?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    Hello darkness my old thread 
    I've come to post in you again...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    @Spaightlabs I don't remember what started it, but some of the comments seemed to have detailed examples if memory serves.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I vaguely recall that thread, but with all due respect the content was not at all new information. The bastardizing for the all mighty buck has been going on for years! Even "BIG NAMES" have fallen victim to the pressures brought on by the major retailers - which seem to be more of an issue with the home improvement retailers. I mean - there is more room to skrimp on quality inside a gasoline motor in a lawn mower, but still carry a major brand label. Have you been following the "I hate my refrigerator" thread? Same thing!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SemolinaPilchard
    SemolinaPilchard Posts: 1,282
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @RRP, I know someone who sells appliances and he says the tv's Walmart sells look the same as what he sells, but if you look at the model numbers they are a little different with cheaper parts inside, and people whine to him because they can get "the same tv" at Walmart. I wonder exactly how widespread this is, say oil filters and oil. Do you save 2 dollars a quart on Mobil1 but putting the equivalent of 3in1 oil in your car? Speaking of 3in1 oil, there is just something seriously wrong with it in a non metal can. :)
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    @RRP, I know someone who sells appliances and he says the tv's Walmart sells look the same as what he sells, but if you look at the model numbers they are a little different with cheaper parts inside, and people whine to him because they can get "the same tv" at Walmart. I wonder exactly how widespread this is, say oil filters and oil. Do you save 2 dollars a quart on Mobil1 but putting the equivalent of 3in1 oil in your car? Speaking of 3in1 oil, there is just something seriously wrong with it in a non metal can. 
    Like Ron said this has been going on for years. We were in the TV & Appliance business 30 years ago, and it was happening then. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Outlet malls aren't outlets at all in general. Most of the products are inferior quality look-a-likes. Had my wife pick me up a dozen Gold Toes when she went. Garbage. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited April 2017
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Outlet malls aren't outlets at all in general. Most of the products are inferior quality look-a-likes. Had my wife pick me up a dozen Gold Toes when she went. Garbage. 
    And knock offs of major brands of food products shouldn't be suspect? LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,125
    Options
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I said an old, not some old.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm sure that inferior version thing is just fake news.  I read that on breitbart so it must be true.
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm sure that inferior version thing is just fake news.  I read that on breitbart so it must be true.
    That's funny.  I read it was Trump's fault for taking George W. Bush's advice to follow the devious plot of **** Cheney and advancing the global takeover by the evil Haliburton Empire.  I can't remember if I read that in Mother Jones or The Nation.  It doesn't matter.  Either one of those impeccable sources reporting that means the story must be true.
    Perhaps I saw a report on CNN.  Or maybe Brian Williams reported it.  I'm not sure, but in any case, all sources I've mentioned are above reproach and should be considered as fact without double checking.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    Years ago James Earl Jones' booming voice could be heard saying "you're watching CNN." Now you hear his voice say "you're watching CNN?"
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options

is this turning into another Yeti vs. Rtic thread?

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Every thread seems to turn into a political sh!t show at this point.