Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Forgotten Mini - A True Lump Miser!

Options
Well, not really forgotten but absolutely over shadowed by it's big brothers ...

I posted earlier this afternoon, my mod to adapt Bbq Guru's Party Q to the mini ... but that's not the real story. The real story is how little lump I used in my 4.5 hr 250 degree Rib cook.

I filled that baby to the very top, the plate setter was flush with the lump, a few hours after the cook when things cooled off, i pulled the grate & plate setter off and discovered that I only used half-a-load of lump. The Mini Still Rocks!

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• Brandongodfrey
    Options
    They are amazing , I can't wait to come across a deal on one 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited April 2017
    Options
    That's a Maxi-Mini right? Not a Mini. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @RRP - Mini 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    The mini simply kicks a$$ my friend.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    @RRP, BGE has given mini owners another opportunity to part with our cash by offering the mini carrier.  It looks quite handy.  If I moved mine around, I would really want one.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SGH
    Options
    @SoCalTim
    Does that guru do a good job on the little mini?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SoCalTim
    Options
    SGH said:
    @SoCalTim
    Yes! It kept the egg exactly @ 250 and purred all afternoon. 
  • SGH
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    SGH said:
    @SoCalTim
    Awesome! I was curious if it would hold a reasonably low temp on the little mini. As I'm sure you are already aware, the mini can run away very fast if you ain't careful. Glad to hear that it works well. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    By the way, where are those ribs :angry:

Status- Standing by.

• SoCalTim
    Options
    SGH said:
    SoCalTim said:
    SGH said:
    @SoCalTim
    Awesome! I was curious if it would hold a reasonably low temp on the little mini. As I'm sure you are already aware, the mini can run away very fast if you ain't careful. Glad to hear that it works well. 
    Yes, this Guru doesn't have "open lid detection" so you have to put the meat on 50 degrees before desired temp and NOT open the lid or it will runaway ...
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    What's a "Maxi-Mini" ? 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I would like to purchase a used mini if anyone wants to part with one. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    @RRP - Mini 
    Sorry - I wasn't aware they made that stand for a Mini. I thought since the introduction of the higher priced M/M then the Mini and the Small are both the red headed step children of BGE. Of course now that @Hotch gave me his Carten my Mini has a proud new carrier itself.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    A 'mini' thread is currently running on the forum, just thought I'd bump this one to the top.

Happy July 4th 2017!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Yeah I too proudly dropped $70 on a mini carrier.  I never move it but it looks much better paired up on my table with its larger yet younger brother Max!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95